PDA

View Full Version : HS Playoff Refs

Bullaholic
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
How are the refs chosen for the playoff games? Don't the coaches just use the closest chapter unless they disagree?

CS DAD
11-10-2009, 06:21 PM
we bring our own

Bullaholic
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by CS DAD
we bring our own

LOL. Please don't don't tell wtfootball that if you guys manage to end up playing Monahans down the bracket---you'll never hear the end of it if you win....:D

squid
11-10-2009, 07:19 PM
we bring our own

We taught yall something last year in Aledo , huh?:p

injuredinmelee
11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by squid
We taught yall something last year in Aledo , huh?:p

squid bringing the funk to the D LOW

TexMike
11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
The coaches must agree on the Chapter that will call the game first. If they cannot agree, UIL picks a Chapter. Once the Chapter is picked, then the specific refs are either assigned by the Chapter (but both coaches have to agree to those who are assigned), or the home coach picks the specific guys and the visitor can approve or require 1 or more be replaced by someone else. Typically, if a school that normally uses San Antonio officials at home is playing at home against a school that normally uses Houston officials, they will go to another Chapter, i.e. Austin for the officials.

squid
11-10-2009, 11:24 PM
squid bringing the funk to the D LOW

I thought about changing my name to Dr Funk.....but thats already taken.....

injuredinmelee
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
pray you never get El Paso refs... they have a hard time keeping football and futbol seperate.

Pendragon13
11-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
pray you never get El Paso refs... they have a hard time keeping football and futbol seperate. Pulling yellow cards for facemasks?:D

TexMike
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
ElPaso refs do not get many shots at playoff games due to their geographic situation. I think this week they have several 4A games but that is about it

Mojado
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
ALL REFS STINK!!!!! :mad:

Matthew328
11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
El Paso crews I've seen normally do a great job. They did the first Abilene Wylie-Everman game a few years back, their top crews are great but its a fast drop off after that

VWG
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Mojado
ALL REFS STINK!!!!! :mad:

Quit complaining and do something about it. Join your local TASO organization and see how "easy" it is to officiate football.

Mojado
11-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Quit complaining and do something about it. Join your local TASO organization and see how "easy" it is to officiate football.

Not complaining... Just stating the truth... I didn't mean to get your yellow hankie in a bunch...:D

Ghostrider
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Just see how you would play the game if there were no officials-good or bad. It would be a cluster.:cool:

VWG
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Mojado
Not complaining... Just stating the truth... I didn't mean to get your yellow hankie in a bunch...:D

Not my yellow hankie, but I have a relative who has officiated games for 24 years. It's a tough gig.

Global Swarming
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
We used to get the Temple chapter refs all the time. They were the worst I've ever seen.

pancho villa
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
The coaches must agree on the Chapter that will call the game first. If they cannot agree, UIL picks a Chapter. Once the Chapter is picked, then the specific refs are either assigned by the Chapter (but both coaches have to agree to those who are assigned), or the home coach picks the specific guys and the visitor can approve or require 1 or more be replaced by someone else. Typically, if a school that normally uses San Antonio officials at home is playing at home against a school that normally uses Houston officials, they will go to another Chapter, i.e. Austin for the officials.

What defensive penalitys can be enforced on the kickoff after a touchdown? All or just some?

TexMike
11-11-2009, 11:34 AM
If the foul was a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct, it can be carried over to the kickoff. If not, then it is declined by rule.

lulu
11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
We used to get the Temple chapter refs all the time. They were the worst I've ever seen.

Well then you haven't seen the Tyler Chapter:eek:

lulu
11-11-2009, 11:38 AM
BTW...what's the ruling on the stiff arm to the helmet?

TexMike
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
No foul for stiff arm to helmet unless the official judges it was a striking blow.

lulu
11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
No foul for stiff arm to helmet unless the official judges it was a striking blow. Is that the case even if it hits the face mask? Not grabbing the mask but hitting it.

Tiger Turtle
11-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Never was very impressed by the Austin chapter crews...

RMAC
11-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How are the refs chosen for the playoff games? Don't the coaches just use the closest chapter unless they disagree?

Give Forrest a call if you have his number. He's started calling HS in the metroplex this year and he just told me he's got a 3A game Friday night.

TexMike
11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Is that the case even if it hits the face mask? Not grabbing the mask but hitting it.

"Hitting it" could be described as a blow. I'd have to see the act but if it is a blow, it is illegal.

Bullaholic
11-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Give Forrest a call if you have his number. He's started calling HS in the metroplex this year and he just told me he's got a 3A game Friday night.

What??? Forrest is a tennis player who can't see, hear, or spell and is a loose cannon to boot---What is he doing reffing??? :D

I just might call him and see how his pulse is beating. Tell him to make up a board name and get back on here. Also, tell him the Bridgeport "old man" told him to come up to Bull Country and wait on a few trains. :D

PHOP
11-11-2009, 02:10 PM
http://dfw.hsgametime.com/index.php?page_id=1000&site_page_id=5&post_id=8349

Please read this article - hands down the worst officiating I have ever seen.

Not sure what chapter it was but run away from those folks

Bullaholic
11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I still say there are a whole lot more good refs than bad ones. And I have been known to yell about a call that I didn't think went right with the best of em'.

lulu
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
"Hitting it" could be described as a blow. I'd have to see the act but if it is a blow, it is illegal.

I've been seeing a lot of it going on around here and most time it involves the front of the helmet/usually part of the face mask. It is not being called at all. I could name the teams that I have seen doing it often but I won't to save argument. That is not what I want but I did see one kid get stiff armed on the mask and he was out with concusion for 2/3 weeks. There was no call. I personally think this should be looked at. Do you see it a lot or is it just catching on at the HS level? I have not noticed it sooo much in the past......only ocassionaly.

TexMike
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I rarely see it in the games I work and those I watch on TV. I suspect that in order to become a "victim" of that type of blow the player is simply trying to grab the runner. When a tackler attacks the runner with real force, the stiff arm is essentially ineffective. Again, it has to be a striking blow and most runners are unable to deliver that if they are focused on running.

lulu
11-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I rarely see it in the games I work and those I watch on TV. I suspect that in order to become a "victim" of that type of blow the player is simply trying to grab the runner. When a tackler attacks the runner with real force, the stiff arm is essentially ineffective. Again, it has to be a striking blow and most runners are unable to deliver that if they are focused on running.

Thank you for your input but take notice if you will.....just saying.
It seems to be taking hold in this area.

Pendragon13
11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Not my yellow hankie, but I have a relative who has officiated games for 24 years. It's a tough gig. I have a relative who did it for 12 years (including some playoffs)...and he's way harder on the officials than I am. And he still knows a lot of them as well..;)

TexMike
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
We eat our own. If you can stomach it, try checking out some of our discussion forums some time. (We just try not to eat in front of "strangers") ;)

16 4ever
11-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
LOL. Please don't don't tell wtfootball that if you guys manage to end up playing Monahans down the bracket---you'll never hear the end of it if you win....:D

You're right about that brother. Thought all of us in Lobo land would never get him to quit crying.

He had a Sr kid playing last year and had a hard time letting that loss go.

Good luck to the Bulls hope to see you guys again.

Inmateboss
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
pray you never get El Paso refs... they have a hard time keeping football and futbol seperate.

:D :clap: :D

Inmateboss
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Ghostrider
Just see how you would play the game if there were no officials-good or bad. It would be a cluster.:cool:

There have been times when an "ever man for himself ", cluster would have been better than the one sided games i've seen!!!