PDA

View Full Version : Best 3A team in the playoffs with the least talent.

footballguru
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
My vote is La Grange. Their two loses where at the hands of Giddings and Sealy. Both Giddings and Sealy where bigger and way faster than La Grange. The leps lost to Giddings by 4 and Sealy by 7 and where actually winning both games at some point. I may be a homer, but when you take out number 9 from the leps team, the rest of the players are a bunch of hard nose kids that may not run fast or may not be very big but they play extremely hard. I think LG came in dead last at the district track meet last year and probable did not have a single runner make it to the finals of any running event at district.

big daddy russ
11-11-2009, 02:41 AM
Good question. Haven't seen enough (Hell, haven't seen any 3A) teams to say, but it'll be interesting to hear some of the other opinions.

gameface
11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey Sir Guru of Track-Did someone from Leopard country piss you off or our you mentally deranged? LG earned the mark of making playoffs in the toughest 3A district in the state. Your basing your opinion of talent on how fast we run!? Our #22 running back Wilson is extremely fast-jolted up the middle for 25 yd. TD in last weeks Sealy game untouched in 1st Q! LG QB Schneider lacking talent?(over 2,200 yds. passing, 2nd in state in 3A at present)-czech your stats boy! The Leopards are aggressive on defense and have incredible depth and talent on offense. Consider a pyschological consult! My vote is Luling-good team but not sure if emotional winning streak can endure 1st round.

trojandad
11-11-2009, 09:25 AM
he wasnt putting down lagrange, he was complemnting the way they play as a team....everybody can't have the best talent....we sure don't....

Global Swarming
11-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I know that Caldwell is not the most talented. They are just a bunch of blue collar kids who play well together. We don't have the backs that are going to run away from anyone in the open field. But I will take a bunch of kids that know their role and what their job is on the field over speed any day.

TRENCHES06
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by gameface
Hey Sir Guru of Track-Did someone from Leopard country piss you off or our you mentally deranged? LG earned the mark of making playoffs in the toughest 3A district in the state. Your basing your opinion of talent on how fast we run!? Our #22 running back Wilson is extremely fast-jolted up the middle for 25 yd. TD in last weeks Sealy game untouched in 1st Q! LG QB Schneider lacking talent?(over 2,200 yds. passing, 2nd in state in 3A at present)-czech your stats boy! The Leopards are aggressive on defense and have incredible depth and talent on offense. Consider a pyschological consult! My vote is Luling-good team but not sure if emotional winning streak can endure 1st round.

LG QB finished with over 2600 yards passing. Finished 5th in state in passing and 5th in TD passes. LaGrange wins because of it's work ethic, fearlessness, and playing smart.

Global Swarming
11-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
LG QB finished with over 2600 yards passing. Finished 5th in state in passing and 5th in TD passes. LaGrange wins because of it's work ethic, fearlessness, and playing smart.

Nothing wrong with winning with good work effort. There are alot of talented fast teams sitting at home right now.

footballguru
11-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Gamefacial, I was complementing the Leps on their success without great athletes. There are a lot of talented teams that did not make the playoffs. As far as athletes based on size, speed and strength LG does not have very many but what they do have is desire and dedication. I am not putting them down, I like how they get after it.

cshscougar08
11-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I will always throw us out there as a team that takes average players talent wise and turns them into a great team due to coaching and work ethic. Haven't seen a team in my time in Texas that does more with less than we do.

Texas Cougar
11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing. 12 straight years in playoffs and other than a couple of years with Shawn Bell and Mike Hicks, we definitely do not have great talent. Average kids that are well coached and taught how to win.

And yes Brian Bell has passed for over 3200 yards this year. Skinny kid with average arm and 6 average receivers to throw to. Brian's best asset is knowing what to do and when to do it.

sinfan75
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Put Sinton onthe list. Not much talent wise but they get the job done.

navscanmaster
11-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Put Sinton onthe list. Not much talent wise but they get the job done.

Second vote for Caldwell. If you just walked past Kysan Woolverton, you would never think the kid is a football player, much less a good one. But that little guy has been the centerpiece of a rushing giant for the last two years, and is absolutely FEARLESS. The rest of the Hornets outside of one or two backs are average speed and size.

LLM_1331
11-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Texas Cougar, you better add a few more stud's to your list.

Dustin Eskew
Ryan Boutwell

China Spring has had their fair share of stud's.

bobcat4life
11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Celina is always on that list....

IP-HAWKS
11-12-2009, 02:18 AM
How about Iowa Park?

onsideanytime
11-12-2009, 09:33 AM
i would put needville in that category, they may not be the best, but those average kids find a way to win, everyone they played this year besides splendora and tidehaven had way better athletes on the field, the only game they were over matched was sweeny, there other 2 losses against royal and lagrange they had chances to win those and came up short, good luck to jays against the tigers

hookandladder
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by footballguru
Gamefacial, I was complementing the Leps on their success without great athletes. There are a lot of talented teams that did not make the playoffs. As far as athletes based on size, speed and strength LG does not have very many but what they do have is desire and dedication. I am not putting them down, I like how they get after it.

I totally agree with your observation of the Leps this year and has been that way for a # of years, yes we do have some talent and speed however on paper we do not normally stack up well against most teams Talent and Size wise . LG's success comes from hard working kids that will laid it on the line every play with good coaching. I think Gameface just took it the wrong way.

BuckeyeNut
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
:doh: :doh:

waterboy
11-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
:doh: :doh:
:D I saw it! Thanks for changing that! I'm not gonna make any predictions past the next game.........but I will say I like our chances this year!:clap:

BuckeyeNut
11-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
:D I saw it! Thanks for changing that! I'm not gonna make any predictions past the next game.........but I will say I like our chances this year!:clap:

LOL i just read the first part and was hot. then reading the other post got hotter. LOL and you could not have ssen it is was fast :D

waterboy
11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
LOL i just read the first part and was hot. then reading the other post got hotter. LOL and you could not have ssen it is was fast :D
:doh: Just call me Speedy! I got some quick fingers....:D It was funny!;) ..........but I don't feel like eating any crow later.:doh:

gatordaze
11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Can you measure historical success with average kids based upon the numbers at the next level? I know that Celina really does not put that many kids in college playing ball. The ones that go to big time programs can be counted on one hand.

We have D'Anton Lynn starting at Penn State. Then Jamie Blatnik at OSU, Caleb Lavey heading there next year. Troy Franklin and Nathan Tune at NTSU. and then a smattering of kids at DII schools. I am not sure that anyone on this team is a lock for big time college other than Caleb.

When Celina played Daingerfield (2A) they were talking about all of their guys committed to B12 schools. We just don't have that here. Do most succesful 3A schools have a significant legacy of D1 talent?

WildTexan972
11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Can you measure historical success with average kids based upon the numbers at the next level? I know that Celina really does not put that many kids in college playing ball. The ones that go to big time programs can be counted on one hand.

We have D'Anton Lynn starting at Penn State. Then Jamie Blatnik at OSU, Caleb Lavey heading there next year. Troy Franklin and Nathan Tune at NTSU. and then a smattering of kids at DII schools. I am not sure that anyone on this team is a lock for big time college other than Caleb.

When Celina played Daingerfield (2A) they were talking about all of their guys committed to B12 schools. We just don't have that here. Do most succesful 3A schools have a significant legacy of D1 talent?

Celina wins on EXECUTION, not on talent, but you did forget Adam James at Tech....another D1 caliber kid...

this year we just see if the OSU recruit plays good defense in the playoffs, or just slacks like the word around the school is that he might be planning to do.....

coiled2strike
11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Caldwell...worked there a few years ago...coaches do an incredible job, too...great kids that work hard, but most couldn't run out of sight in a day...when we ran sprints, we usually didn't have to split into lineman and skill groups...just kidding
great little town that really loves their kids and football...
miss you guys and good luck

Old Tiger
11-12-2009, 01:01 PM
The entire Caldwell team has chicken legs, t-rex arms, and runs 5 flat 40s.

Global Swarming
11-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
The entire Caldwell team has chicken legs, t-rex arms, and runs 5 flat 40s.

Lol don't know if we're quite that slow. But it doesn't say alot for your team when we beat y'all by 21 points.

Old Tiger
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Lol don't know if we're quite that slow. But it doesn't say alot for your team when we beat y'all by 21 points. This isn't about the team I root for.

I also heard the Caldwell team is the bring your lunch pail to work kinda team. They're all like coaches on the field.

icu812
11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze

I would say most 3A schools do not have the legacy of D1 talent Celina has. Most have 1 player every couple years at best. Van has had about 3 this decade. Our team last year that went 3 rds had about 4 seniors that are Div.II type players. This year maybe a couple more Div.II players. Teams like Gilmer, Carthage, Daingerfield,etc.. that consistantly have D1 athletes are the exception. Gilmer has 4X the D1 athletes than all the teams in our whole district combined.

pirate4state
11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I will always throw us out there as a team that takes average players talent wise and turns them into a great team due to coaching and work ethic. Haven't seen a team in my time in Texas that does more with less than we do. You need to come watch Sinton then :p