PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bowden has no mind!

Old Tiger
11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I’m going to give a warning right away. These quotes might not be easy for you to read. They might upset you. A lot. They might make you shake your head – and wonder exactly what is going on with this football program. Or they might not. Who knows?

At any rate. Here is the context.

After his team was outscored 19-0 in the fourth quarter on Saturday night, Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden had his postgame press conference in a lounge inside the Clemson football offices.

The presser (which is what we cool kids in the media call them) lasted about eight minutes. Bowden spoke glowingly of Clemson running back C.J. Spiller – how could he not? – and also lamented his team’s rash of turnovers.

But he also kept talking. And he said some things that probably won’t play too well with the people who have to decide whether the 80-year-old living legend will be back on the sidelines next fall.

Here is an exchange he had with reporters.

Bowden: “Both of us made errors. We probably scored on some of their errors -- I didn’t keep up with it. But we’d turn the ball over and they’d go down and score. Then we’d turn it over and they didn’t score. They’d turn it over back. And the game kind of went that way. We felt very comfortable. We knew it was a battle.

“How late was it 24-21 in our favor? How late did it get? Did that get into the fourth quarter?”

Reporter: “Nine and a half minutes left.”

Bowden: “Left in the game?”

Reporter: “Yes.”

Bowden: “So you’re feeling comfortable, but you know that it ain’t won yet. Then of course the dam broke.”

A few minutes later, Bowden was asked this question by another reporter.

Reporter: “In the second half, when it seemed like momentum started to switch, how hard was it to try to reverse that?”

Bowden: “You mean when they got it (momentum)? Well, actually … you know, they had to kick off to us. We had a what? A three-point ….? Did we have the lead at the half?”

(Reporter nods).

Bowden: “We had a three-point lead at the half, I think. Then they had to kick off to us. We needed to take it down and win the darn game right there. We didn’t do it. They stopped us. Then we kicked it to them and then they probably scored.”

Reporter: “They went ahead and then you guys came back.”

Bowden: “Huh?”

Reporter: “They went ahead and then you guys came back again.”

Bowden: “Did we get ahead of them again after that?”

Reporter: “Yeah.”

Bowden: “Then we got back ahead, huh? Umm, it was going that way, you know it? I felt very comfortable that if they could score, we could score. That’s the way I felt, you know it? We’ve done it all year. But then we started turning the ball over.”

And there you have it. Was that bad? Honestly? I’m asking YOU guys what you think of those two exchanges. I have an opinion, sure, but I’m not a “fan” of this program. You are. I get paid to go to Florida State football games. You guys have to pay. You are the ones that matter. Your opinions, your voices, are the ones that count.

So what do you think?

If you’re a Florida State booster, does it concern you that your head coach didn’t know if his team was leading at halftime? Or that it had the lead in the fourth quarter? Does that anger you? Sadden you? Both?

As a fan, are you bothered by that? Or do you just chalk it up to your head coach being 80 years old?

How would you feel if you were the school president?

How would you feel if you were Jim Smith?

How would you feel if you were Randy Spetman?

And lastly, how would you feel if you were Christian Ponder? How would you feel if you had given your heart, your soul, your ribs and now your shoulder, to this Florida State football team? If you had wanted so badly to win that you subjected your body to a full-force collision in the final minutes – even though you were already suffering from a severely painful rib injury – and you wound up separating your shoulder in the process?

If you were him, how would you feel if you later found out about those two exchanges in the press conference?

Would they anger you? Sadden you? Both?

I’ve talked to a number of Florida State fans/graduates about what happened in that Clemson football lounge on Saturday night and they were all upset when they heard the story.

Some were depressed. Some were irate.

What are you?

SintonPirateFan
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
sad. sad that he didn't know when to call it a career and got too caught up in the "all time wins" contest with joepa. i'm not even a florida state fan, but that interview was painful to read.

Bullaholic
11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Bobby Bowden is an 80 year-old HC living on his laurels, which are considerable and well-deserved. I am sure that he will not be back at Florida State next season, either of his own volition, or by dismissal---which will be unfortunate if it comes to that. I would look for Coach Bowden to announce his retirement at the end of this season.

shamu85
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow, that's sad. I'm all about being able to pick when you leave when you have given a lot to an institution, but what about when someone gets to the point when they can't determine when to leave? I think Bowden has crossed that line.

I can see both him and Paterno croaking within a year of their retirement. Coaching college football is all these guys know how to do. I personally don't find that very admirable.

Tx Challenge
11-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I have always been a big fan of Bowden. My oldest use to always go to his fb camps. Great memories.

That said, it is time for him to go. The longer he stays at this point, the more harm it does to the FSU program and it tarnishes his reputation as one of the greatest coaches...

Gobbler Fan
11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Just a figurehead for the program at this point in his career not actually the man who does anything of value for the team to win ....time to retire Bobby B. :(

SintonPirateFan
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Wow, that's sad. I'm all about being able to pick when you leave when you have given a lot to an institution, but what about when someone gets to the point when they can't determine when to leave? I think Bowden has crossed that line.

I can see both him and Paterno croaking within a year of their retirement. Coaching college football is all these guys know how to do. I personally don't find that very admirable.

gotta disagree with you on that--at least for Paterno. he still has a competitive team, and donates a LOT of his VERY modest pay back to the university.

shamu85
11-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
gotta disagree with you on that--at least for Paterno. he still has a competitive team, and donates a LOT of his VERY modest pay back to the university.

Can you clarify on what you are disagreeing? I didn't say Paterno was senile. I do think when he finally does give up coaching, he won't live much longer, though. Are you disagreeing with my contention that coaching college football is his life?

Old Tiger
11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
gotta disagree with you on that--at least for Paterno. he still has a competitive team, and donates a LOT of his VERY modest pay back to the university. Joe Pa has done way more for college football and his respective university than Bowden has done for both college football and his respective university.

injuredinmelee
11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Thou shalt not take the name Paterno in vain!!!

SintonPirateFan
11-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Can you clarify on what you are disagreeing? I didn't say Paterno was senile. I do think when he finally does give up coaching, he won't live much longer, though. Are you disagreeing with my contention that coaching college football is his life?

you said you didn't find them staying in football "very admirable". i'm saying what joepa has done for college football and Penn St is very admirable.

boynoles
11-11-2009, 02:27 PM
WHEN YOUR ON TOP OF THE WORLD THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO GO

Old Tiger
11-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by boynoles
WHEN YOUR ON TOP OF THE WORLD THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO GO He hasn't been on top since this decade started.

Tx Challenge
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
He is a legend. I agree with Shamu....What he is saying is he should have left the game on top. Now his reputation is tarnished as an "Over the Hill" type. Joe P is also a legend. Great person, Great for Penn St. Anyone that says otherwise is an idiot.

Might be time for both to move on. Too late for Bobby? IDK, but def not for Joe..

slingshot
11-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Bobby should have moved on years ago... JoePa needs to go now. It's time.

Old Tiger
11-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
He is a legend. I agree with Shamu....What he is saying is he should have left the game on top. Now his reputation is tarnished as an "Over the Hill" type. Joe P is also a legend. Great person, Great for Penn St. Anyone that says otherwise is an idiot.

Might be time for both to move on. Too late for Bobby? IDK, but def not for Joe.. Joe Pa can keep coaching IMO he is doing great a penn state. bowden at FSU over the past couple of years is a downward style...the people at FSU need to institute damage control ASAP.

shamu85
11-12-2009, 12:08 AM
you said you didn't find them staying in football "very admirable". i'm saying what joepa has done for college football and Penn St is very admirable.

I don't disagre with that, but these guys are like supreme court judges now. I think they are both staying in it because of the w/l records now.