PDA

View Full Version : If those SEC defenses are so good...

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Then somebody tell me why the #1 Defense in the country resides in Austin, Texas? The Longhorns are allowing only 230.8 yds/gm and a FBS low 55.3 rushing yds/gm.

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Then somebody tell me why the #1 Defense in the country resides in Austin, Texas? The Longhorns are allowing only 230.8 yds/gm and a FBS low 55.3 rushing yds/gm.

weak schedule?...............or if you re a horn fan smart scheduling.

and idk but your question backs my feelings that the big xii is a one team conference (at least this season since ou if falling apart).

themsu97
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
yeah weak schedule... Coastal Carolina is a big time team that Florida plays every year...

remember that Wisconsin and Arkansas backed out of playing Texas so the Horns asked for anyone to play... where they picked up ULM and Wyoming... cannot blame the Horns for teams backing out...

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
yeah weak schedule... Coastal Carolina is a big time team that Florida plays every year...

remember that Wisconsin and Arkansas backed out of playing Texas so the Horns asked for anyone to play... where they picked up ULM and Wyoming... cannot blame the Horns for teams backing out...

and the greatest program ever never backs out......like a trip to Ha waii.....excuse: the trip was too expensive....that coming from an athletic dept...that is one of the most profitable in the nation.

i'll never forget that one....texas should never belly ache about teams backing out.

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
weak schedule or not the offenses in the Big XII are better than the offenses in the SEC, and UT has the best defense against better offensive opponents

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 12:24 PM
look i don't want to get into a war of words and bash texas or other teams.......i think the horns are a great team and have a great staff....but i get on this board and listen to people belly ache about the poor horns never get respect....and people bash teams for doing the same thing the horns do.....there isn't much that seprates texas from usc, florida and norte dame when it comes to the press......and take a good look around you when you go shopping you would think the state only had one team....i was in a bookstore sunday and man i think there must have been 20 books on the horns.....yeah they deserve it but quit with the poor longhorns....crud...let the season play out...they got the easy road to the championship...weak division, weak conference title game and two months to prep for who ever. in three months we'll have to listen to how the horns were the greatest team ever..and in hindsight played no one until the title.

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
weak schedule or not the offenses in the Big XII are better than the offenses in the SEC, and UT has the best defense against better offensive opponents

better because?..............high scoring or offenses have a huge advantage over defenses with the pass.

Texas does have great defense...i will credit were credit is due.

BreckTxLonghorn
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
and the greatest program ever never backs out......like a trip to Ha waii.....excuse: the trip was too expensive....that coming from an athletic dept...that is one of the most profitable in the nation.

i'll never forget that one....texas should never belly ache about teams backing out.

I must've missed something - when did this happen?

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
look i don't want to get into a war of words and bash texas or other teams.......i think the horns are a great team and have a great staff....but i get on this board and listen to people belly ache about the poor horns never get respect....and people bash teams for doing the same thing the horns do.....there isn't much that seprates texas from usc, florida and norte dame when it comes to the press......and take a good look around you when you go shopping you would think the state only had one team....i was in a bookstore sunday and man i think there must have been 20 books on the horns.....yeah they deserve it but quit with the poor longhorns....crud...let the season play out...they got the easy road to the championship...weak division, weak conference title game and two months to prep for who ever. in three months we'll have to listen to how the horns were the greatest team ever..and in hindsight played no one until the title.

easy there killer I just like stirring the pot a bit, I was using the post to get Mojado all fired up but looks like I can settle for you

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

it has been a few years..but it happen I remember ribbing a horn relative about....I am old and my years run together.

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 12:30 PM

I can see it now though, had we scheduled Hawaii and beat them people would be telling us how we had scheduled them because to aid our weak schedule:D

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
easy there killer I just like stirring the pot a bit, I was using the post to get Mojado all fired up but looks like I can settle for you

im good with you ....i don't take things personal...it just amazes me the belly aching some people do and bashing of other teams...when they never step back and realizes their team gets more then it's due respect.

like a post not too long ago bashing notre dame....someone posted they got satisfaction out of the fact they lost...and didn't like notre dame....so be it but i wonder why....is it because...

they get too much press?
have a great tradition?
have won a lot of titles?
have been playing football for along time?
have huge alumni fan base?
have huge fan base made up of people that didn't attend that school?
every where you go you probably see t-shirts and caps?

you look at those reasons and you sub a lot teams in there and hate them.

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
im good with you ....i don't take things personal...it just amazes me the belly aching some people do and bashing of other teams...when they never step back and realizes their team gets more then it's due respect.

like a post not too long ago bashing notre dame....someone posted they got satisfaction out of the fact they lost...and didn't like notre dame....so be it but i wonder why....is it because...

they get too much press?
have a great tradition?
every you go you probably see t-shirts and caps?

I hate Notre Dame because they won't join a conference

shamu85
11-10-2009, 12:39 PM

they get too much press?
have a great tradition?
every you go you probably see t-shirts and caps?

You should live in the Austin area if you think it's bad where you are.

BreckTxLonghorn
11-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
You should live in the Austin area if you think it's bad where you are.

The same could be said in regards to Aggie fans in College Station...
and Sooners in Norman...
and Raiders in Lubbock...
and Irish in South Bend....
and Tide in Tuscaloosa....
and Broncos in Boise....
and on and on and on....

If you think it's like that just in Austin, you've got blinders on.

Old Tiger
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM

they get too much press?
have a great tradition?
every where you go you probably see t-shirts and caps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

;) :D

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

;) :D

now that is funny.

Mojado
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM

DUDE... What are you smoking??? Whatever, I'm outa your fantasy world. This is getting ridiculous...:doh:

shamu85
11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
The same could be said in regards to Aggie fans in College Station...
and Sooners in Norman...
and Raiders in Lubbock...
and Irish in South Bend....
and Tide in Tuscaloosa....
and Broncos in Boise....
and on and on and on....

If you think it's like that just in Austin, you've got blinders on.

Where do you get that I think it is only Austin that is like that? My point was, the poster thinks it is that way where he is, he should see it in the epicenter.

Separate and aside from my point, however, I will argue that Austin is a major metropolitan area with other college football in the MSA that gets ZERO coverage. Example: SWT is fighting for a playoff berth, but never gets an ounce of coverage even though the school is less than 30 miles from Austin. UMHB has become a Div III powerhouse and is only 40-45 miles away and gets even less coverage. None of the other places you mentioned are major metropolitan areas nor are there other college football teams in the vicinity.

gatordaze
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I think that TX v. FL/ALA will be a good match-up.

In order to compare conferences we can use last year as it ended with B12 v. SEC. A quick statistical comparison of the 2008 NCG and projected 2009 NCG shows:

Total O UF- #15 445 yrds/game OU- #3 541 yrds/game
Scoring O UF- # 4 43.64 pts/game OU0 #1 51.14 pts/game

Total D UF- #9 285 yrds/game OU- #68 371 yrds/game
Scoring D UF #4 12.93/pts/game OU- #58 24.5 pts/game

Total O UF- #19 438 yrds/game UT- # 25 431 yrds/game
Scoring O UF- # 11- 35 pts/game UT- #3 41 per pts/game

Total D UF- #2 232 yrds/game UT- #1 231 yrds/game
Scoring D UF- #1 10.1 pts/game UT- #8 12.4 pts/game

Based upon this my question is did the B12 regress in offensive proficiency or did Texas just get that better on D?

If you look at 2008 5 B12 Offenses where in the top 10 with no SEC offenses in the top 10.

In 2009 only 2 B12 offenses (TAMU and TT) are in the top 10 including TAMU which UT has yet to play. UF is ranked above UT in Total O this time.

Statistically what does it all mean? Last year the best O in the country could not beat UF with all that fire power. This year UF's D is stronger statisctacally while UT's and its conferences O's are weaker (makes UT's D look stronger).

The thing that should concern Texas is what the FL D did to what most beleived was the best offense ever last year in OU. Is UT's offense that potent this year? In 2008, the FL D finished 9th and allowed 13 points per game including the game with the most prolific O in the nation. This year they are number 1 in scoring D averaging only 10.1 pts per game nad 1 yrd per game allowed behind UT.

But hey, I am a Gator...

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Mojado
DUDE... What are you smoking??? Whatever, I'm outa your fantasy world. This is getting ridiculous...:doh:

Fantasy World?

Big XII yds/game-396.02
pts/game-29.99

SEC yds/game-384.33
pts/game-28.56

statistically speaking the Big XII offenses are better than the ones in the SEC

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
I think that TX v. FL/ALA will be a good match-up.

In order to compare conferences we can use last year as it ended with B12 v. SEC. A quick statistical comparison of the 2008 NCG and projected 2009 NCG shows:

Total O UF- #15 445 yrds/game OU- #3 541 yrds/game
Scoring O UF- # 4 43.64 pts/game OU0 #1 51.14 pts/game

Total D UF- #9 285 yrds/game OU- #68 371 yrds/game
Scoring D UF #4 12.93/pts/game OU- #58 24.5 pts/game

Total O UF- #19 438 yrds/game UT- # 25 431 yrds/game
Scoring O UF- # 11- 35 pts/game UT- #3 41 per pts/game

Total D UF- #2 232 yrds/game UT- #1 231 yrds/game
Scoring D UF- #1 10.1 pts/game UT- #8 12.4 pts/game

Based upon this my question is did the B12 regress in offensive proficiency or did Texas just get that better on D?

If you look at 2008 5 B12 Offenses where in the top 10 with no SEC offenses in the top 10.

In 2009 only 2 B12 offenses (TAMU and TT) are in the top 10 including TAMU which UT has yet to play. UF is ranked above UT in Total O this time.

Statistically what does it all mean? Last year the best O in the country could not beat UF with all that fire power. This year UF's D is stronger statisctacally while UT's and its conferences O's are weaker (makes UT's D look stronger).

The thing that should concern Texas is what the FL D did to what most beleived was the best offense ever last year in OU. Is UT's offense that potent this year? In 2008, the FL D finished 9th and allowed 13 points per game including the game with the most prolific O in the nation. This year they are number 1 in scoring D averaging only 10.1 pts per game nad 1 yrd per game allowed behind UT.

But hey, I am a Gator...

good analysis but one thing that should concern Florida is last year when they met OU, they were playing the #68 team in total D and # 58 team in scoring D, and they were able to keep UF to 24 pts, how will UF fairs whose total offense ans coring offense is worst this year compared to last when they face the #1 team in total D and # 8 team in scoring D

themsu97
11-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Muschamp knows SEC and how the SEC defenses work which is why UT is so good...

but Florida is a good team... Alabama and Texas may be boring since both teams O is not very good... Texas and Florida would be better...
plus if Texas wins it all I have a good bet with a Florida alumnus that I would love to see...

big daddy russ
11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Because they have an SEC d-coordinator, silly.

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Because they have an SEC d-coordinator, silly.

that my friend is a good answer, you may move to the front of the class

big daddy russ
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Muschamp knows SEC and how the SEC defenses work which is why UT is so good...

but Florida is a good team... Alabama and Texas may be boring since both teams O is not very good... Texas and Florida would be better...
plus if Texas wins it all I have a good bet with a Florida alumnus that I would love to see...
Oops, beat me to it.

BreckTxLonghorn
11-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Where do you get that I think it is only Austin that is like that? My point was, the poster thinks it is that way where he is, he should see it in the epicenter.

Separate and aside from my point, however, I will argue that Austin is a major metropolitan area with other college football in the MSA that gets ZERO coverage. Example: SWT is fighting for a playoff berth, but never gets an ounce of coverage even though the school is less than 30 miles from Austin. UMHB has become a Div III powerhouse and is only 40-45 miles away and gets even less coverage. None of the other places you mentioned are major metropolitan areas nor are there other college football teams in the vicinity.

I never really thought of Belton as close to the Austin metro area. They're actually over 60 miles away, and closer to Waco, who I bet does all the coverage.

Texas State may not get a ton of television coverage, but every time I read the Statesman they're in it. And I don't watch the local news (I read the paper), so I really don't have an answer. But the town is still 30 miles away. It's not like Kyle/Buda in that it's an outskirt, it's a town that's basically in the miiddle of San Antonio/Austin. SA is a bigger city, I would think they do the coverage of them anyways, esp with no football teams until recently.

Again, you could look at other metropolitan areas and do the same thing. Houston Chronicle barely covered Rice or UH until UH started winning, and even then it took a backseat to Astros & Texans. You'll hear nothing from them about SHSU (about the same distance from Houston as UMHB to Austin). How much coverage does Austin college get from WFAA, DMN, or Telegram?

gatordaze
11-10-2009, 04:11 PM
good analysis but one thing that should concern Florida is last year when they met OU, they were playing the #68 team in total D and # 58 team in scoring D, and they were able to keep UF to 24 pts, how will UF fairs whose total offense ans coring offense is worst this year compared to last when they face the #1 team in total D and # 8 team in scoring D

Good point but why was last years OU's D (and Texas' for that matter) ranked that low? I showed that the B12 O's last year lit up the B12 D's therefore making them look avearge. This year UT, OU and OSU have fallen off offensively and made UT's D look much better.

I beleive that Floridida is 85-90% of last years O and 110% of last years D. How would you compare UT this year to OU last?

shamu85
11-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I never really thought of Belton as close to the Austin metro area. They're actually over 60 miles away, and closer to Waco, who I bet does all the coverage.

Texas State may not get a ton of television coverage, but every time I read the Statesman they're in it. And I don't watch the local news (I read the paper), so I really don't have an answer. But the town is still 30 miles away. It's not like Kyle/Buda in that it's an outskirt, it's a town that's basically in the miiddle of San Antonio/Austin. SA is a bigger city, I would think they do the coverage of them anyways, esp with no football teams until recently.

Again, you could look at other metropolitan areas and do the same thing. Houston Chronicle barely covered Rice or UH until UH started winning, and even then it took a backseat to Astros & Texans. You'll hear nothing from them about SHSU (about the same distance from Houston as UMHB to Austin). How much coverage does Austin college get from WFAA, DMN, or Telegram?

60 miles from DOWNTOWN Austin fine, but less than 40 from the edge of the metropolitan area. San Marcos is part of the overall MSA. In fact it is named the Austin-San Marcos Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is just five miles farther to San Marcos from Austin than it is to Georgetown. San Marcos is 50 miles from San Antonio. I read the Statesman online and very rarely is there even a SWT score listed in there.

Of course Rice and UH took a back seat to PROFESSIONAL teams. That is part of my point. The RR Express do get coverage from the local media but they are professional.

Waco is not a major metropolitan area. It is only 1/10th the market size of Austin. There's room in the Austin market for something other than UT. Waco has their own Division I school to cover. Surely you are not really arguing that there is not enough Austin media or market to warrant covering at least a score for the Bobcats and the Crusaders?

Anyway on point, the Georgia D is horrible, the Arkansas D ain't nothing special and neither is the Auburn or Miss. St, Kentucky, Vanderbilt or South Carolina D. Alabama & Florida's D's are very good and Tennessee, Ole Miss and LSU are average.

NastySlot
11-10-2009, 04:33 PM
imo throw out stats and rankings in a championship game........way too long to prep...its like another first game of the season unless you re playing a sister of weak in the championship everybody is one a level playing field.....look at texas v. the greatest college team ever. texas won.