PDA

View Full Version : Why 1A Italy should be ranked #1 in 5A.

Eagle 1
11-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Somebody else posted this on the 1A board and I thought it was to good and needed to be passed along.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my BCS computer-like logic serves me right the Italy Gladiators should easily defeat the so called mighty Southlake Carroll Dragons (ranked #1 in 5A) if ever they would schedule one another. Watch as my foolproof logic unfolds....

You see Italy defeated mighty Wortham 35-12
who defeated 2A Corsicana Mildred 27-6
who defeated 2A Kerens 17-14
who defeated 2A Edgewood 25-21
who defeated 3A Canton 34-21
who defeated 3A Kaufman 21-14
who defeated 3A Chapel Hill 49-42
who defeated 3A Westwood 27-26
who defeated 3A Madisonville 36-21
who defeated 3A Yoe 25-19
who defeated 3A Navasota 24-22
who defeated 3A Belleville 24-14
who defeated 4A Livingston 28-13
who defeated 4A Beaumont Central 10-6
who defeated 5A Port Author Memorial 28-21
who defeated 5A Houston North Shore 7-6
who defeated the 5A Southlake Carroll Dragons 28-15

Wins and losses and scores don't lie!

(Dawson and Itasca take note, you should be up there too)

Looking4number8
11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Thats pretty good, somebody has way too much time on their hands but that's still pretty good!

BEAST
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Problem is, SLC isnt #1 in 5A, and hasnt been all year long.

BEAST

Eagle 1
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Problem is, SLC isnt #1 in 5A, and hasnt been all year long.

Depends on the poll you look at: LINK (http://calpreps.com/2009/ratings/Texas_all.htm)
or LINK (http://www.maxpreps.com/state/texas.htm)

waterboy
11-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Can't argue with that logic.:D Have you seen any 1A football games? They are not even in the same league as 5A football, or even 3A for that matter. The difference that would have to be overcome to step up from 1A to 5A would be incomprehensible. While I agree there are those RARE teams that can play, and beat the top-tier teams in the next classification, jumping 2 or more classifications is something I don't think could be overcome, especially from the smallest classification to the largest. The numbers alone would keep it from being competitive.

STANG RED
11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Can't argue with that logic.:D Have you seen any 1A football games? They are not even in the same league as 5A football, or even 3A for that matter. The difference that would have to be overcome to step up from 1A to 5A would be incomprehensible. While I agree there are those RARE teams that can play, and beat the top-tier teams in the next classification, jumping 2 or more classifications is something I don't think could be overcome, especially from the smallest classification to the largest. The numbers alone would keep it from being competitive.

LOL, I seriously doubt whoever put this together thinks a 1A can compete with a 5A. They were just having fun with it for a laugh.

Having said that, Italy always has tons of great athletes. Some of which I'm sure could start on many 5A teams. Its usually the lack of discipline that ends up being their downfall.

trojandad
11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
wow, well you know what this means?!?!? we beat madisonville by much more than that, so that makes us KING OF DA WORLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!! :smoker: :smoker:

Eagle 1
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Actually Shiner (1A) Beat Palacios (3A) 41-0 earlier this year.

LINK (http://www.shinertx.com/shinerhs/va090925.htm)

Pendragon13
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Can't argue with that kind of logic!:cool: I mean, you could argue with it....but then I would have to give up the *Liberty Hill "win" in my signature.:D

*in case anyone is wondering...the game was called due to lightning.

waterboy
11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Actually Shiner (1A) Beat Palacios (3A) 41-0 earlier this year.

LINK (http://www.shinertx.com/shinerhs/va090925.htm)
Yep, like I say, it's a rare occurence. Did Palacios win any games this year? What I meant, was the best 1A team could not compete with the best 3A, 4A, or 5A team. There's teams in all classifications that struggle even against smaller schools.......as per your example.

BTW, I know he wasn't serious.:p I hear it about matching up a 3A power against a 4A power all the time. I just don't think that the 3A team would win very many of those matchups,......although there are times where there are exceptions to that rule.;)

block&tackle
11-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Yep, like I say, it's a rare occurence. Did Palacios win any games this year? What I meant, was the best 1A team could not compete with the best 3A, 4A, or 5A team. There's teams in all classifications that struggle even against smaller schools.......as per your example.

BTW, I know he wasn't serious.:p I hear it about matching up a 3A power against a 4A power all the time. I just don't think that the 3A team would win very many of those matchups,......although there are times where there are exceptions to that rule.;)
I'll buy #1 vs. #1, but how about this: how bout the #1 team in 3A against the #10 team in 4A or the #20 team in 5A?

Tiger Turtle
11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Sealy used to scrimmage bad 5A teams while TJ was the coach. That was when Sealy was a VERY good 3A and they were able to hold their own against lousy 5As in controlled conditions. Some 3A state champs might actually beat a bottom rung 5A or even a middle tier 4A, but size and numbers would tell after a while.

big daddy russ
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
I'll buy #1 vs. #1, but how about this: how bout the #1 team in 3A against the #10 team in 4A or the #20 team in 5A?
I've said it over and over and I'll say it again, I think Gilmer would go very deep in the 4A playoff bracket.

LE Dad
11-10-2009, 03:58 PM
LOL, LE had a late cancellation on our '06 schedule and picked up Italy as a sub. It was a long night for the Trojans. They have a good program but do not have the #s to compete at 3A level.

post 2000

LE Dad
11-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've said it over and over and I'll say it again, I think Gilmer would go very deep in the 4A playoff bracket. Gilmer would do well, except they would be in a distrrict that could contain Longview, Texas High, Sulphur Springs, Marshall...Ouch

waterboy
11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Gilmer would do well, except they would be in a distrrict that could contain Longview, Texas High, Sulphur Springs, Marshall...Ouch
:vrycnfsd: Yeah........OUCH! That would be like a murderous row for a little ol' 3A team! It wouldn't be that bad if we played one or two of those teams and spread them out, but week in and week out would kill us..... Back when I was in school, a long, long time ago:D , we were in a district with teams like Sulphur Springs, Mt. Pleasant, Liberty-Eylau, Pittsburg, Clarksville (they were much bigger then), Gladewater, Atlanta, and Daingerfield (they were bigger then, too). I know there's eight on the list, I can't remember which seven when I was in school. Some years we held our own, others we didn't. Of course, we didn't have the coaching then we do now, either.

LE Dad
11-10-2009, 05:44 PM
:vrycnfsd: Yeah........OUCH! That would be like a murderous row for a little ol' 3A team! It wouldn't be that bad if we played one or two of those teams and spread them out, but week in and week out would kill us..... Back when I was in school, a long, long time ago:D , we were in a district with teams like Sulphur Springs, Mt. Pleasant, Liberty-Eylau, Pittsburg, Clarksville (they were much bigger then), Gladewater, Atlanta, and Daingerfield (they were bigger then, too). I know there's eight on the list, I can't remember which seven when I was in school. Some years we held our own, others we didn't. Of course, we didn't have the coaching then we do now, either.
Yeah I know Longview is bigger than T High and T High turned in 1500. We used to play T High, and could be competitve with them. Our kids took such a beating though it just wasn't worth it. You put 50 kids up against 80-90 kids the odds are not good.
Then try this for playoffs Rd1 Jacksonville, Rd2 Waxahacie, Rd3 Highland Park.:thinking:

WOS87
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
The Massey Rating Site has an algorithm that lets you calculate what was posted on the original post between any two schools.

Click Here ---> LINK (http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultcal300x250.cfm?ct=transitivity&schoolid=-1&spt=4&lvl=1&division=1)

Here's how WO-S wins over Southlake Carroll:

WO-S beat (4A) Nederland
who beat (4A) Livingston
who beat (4A) Beaumont Central
who beat (5A) Port Arthur Memorial
who beat (5A) GP North Shore
who beat (5A) Southlake Carroll

waterboy
11-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Yeah I know Longview is bigger than T High and T High turned in 1500. We used to play T High, and could be competitve with them. Our kids took such a beating though it just wasn't worth it. You put 50 kids up against 80-90 kids the odds are not good.
Then try this for playoffs Rd1 Jacksonville, Rd2 Waxahacie, Rd3 Highland Park.:thinking:
Yeah, like I said, play one or two of them and spread them out over a few weeks, and the 3A team might be competitive. If you have to play teams that are that deep week in and week out, you would be so beat up you wouldn't have any depth left. If you played the number 1 team in 3A against a top ten 4A squad, there may some years a particular 3A team could beat them, but most years I would say they would be competitive at best. There is a difference in depth of talent and personnel between a school with 1100 to 2000 students to choose from and a school with only 450-900 students to choose from.

eagles_victory
11-10-2009, 07:06 PM
LOL, LE had a late cancellation on our '06 schedule and picked up Italy as a sub. It was a long night for the Trojans. They have a good program but do not have the #s to compete at 3A level.

post 2000 Gladiators.

LE Dad
11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Gladiators. Opps... Been a couple of years LOL. Just remember the Roman type emblems on their signs. They were a good team just not enough #s.

eagles_victory
11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Opps... Been a couple of years LOL. Just remember the Roman type emblems on their signs. They were a good team just not enough #s. lol I saw Wortham play Friday night any comparison to them and a 5a team is laughable for sure.

Eagle 1
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Yep, like I say, it's a rare occurence. Did Palacios win any games this year?

Palacios was 4-6 this year.
Not exactly the bottom of their district, but not a playoff team either.
None the less, Shiner is ranked 11th in 1A.

Twirling Time
11-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Jumping two classifications is rare in Texas with the spread in enrollments. The last time it happened in my area was 1988-89 when then-1A Bells played then-3A Prairiland. (Both are 2A now.)

The problem most small schools run into is depth. Take the best 11 on a freaky-good 3A like Gilmer and the best 11 on a decent 5A like, say, Mesquite Horn or Marcus, and Gilmer probably wins. But below that, chances are good the subs of the 5A are better than Gilmer's subs, and they can rotate fresh players in over and over and wear you down over time.

NastySlot
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Jumping two classifications is rare in Texas with the spread in enrollments. The last time it happened in my area was 1988-89 when then-1A Bells played then-3A Prairiland. (Both are 2A now.)

The problem most small schools run into is depth. Take the best 11 on a freaky-good 3A like Gilmer and the best 11 on a decent 5A like, say, Mesquite Horn or Marcus, and Gilmer probably wins. But below that, chances are good the subs of the 5A are better than Gilmer's subs, and they can rotate fresh players in over and over and wear you down over time.

this season in our area Canyon Lake 3A played 5A Brandis from SA.. both schools are in only their second season's of varsity play and both made the playoffs.