PDA

View Full Version : Glen Rose VS Wimberley

GrTigers6
11-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Who wins?

I dont know much about Wimberley except several of our former coaches are there now. What kind of offense do they run?

Daddy D 11
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
A good one:D

big daddy russ
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I've got Glen Rose by a TD. Wimberley's tough to figure out. They seem to have had an up-and-down year while Glen Rose looked like a legit playoff contender.

If Wimberley's "up," though, it could be a long night for the Tigers.

GrTigers6
11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've got Glen Rose by a TD. Wimberley's tough to figure out. They seem to have had an up-and-down year while Glen Rose looked like a legit playoff contender.

If Wimberley's "up," though, it could be a long night for the Tigers. Well the difference is, This year we have a better defense. So we will see how that works against their offense. I cant wait to see.:)

hollywood
11-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I say GR by 14. They gave Graham a tough game and since then, their offense seems to be clicking.

IHStangFan
11-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm leaning towards Glen Rose....but wouldn't be surprised at all if Wimberley did get the W.

hollywood
11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
If GR's defense plays to their potential, they can stop the running back from Wimberly. I just wonder if Wimberly's defense can stop GR's offense. Their QB is good.

IHStangFan
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
If GR's defense plays to their potential, they can stop the running back from Wimberly. I just wonder if Wimberly's defense can stop GR's offense. Their QB is good. I'm cheering for Glen Rose. Spent some time up there last year. A good friend of mine grew up part of his life there, and his father still lives there just outside of town. We spent some time up there at his place, had a good time. Nice little community.

GO TIGERS!!

BEAST
11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I am pulling for the Tigers as well. Brownwoods Derek Longoria is from Glen Rose and has friends playing on that team. I talked with him just last night about it and really hopes us and them keep winning so he can get a chance to play against his old buddies.

BEAST

clhsdad
11-11-2009, 03:40 PM
GR will need to stop more than their running back. I believe Canyon Lake probably shut him down as good as anyone 40 yds on the ground and 9 yards receiving. Texans will find away to win just hope they play all 4 quarters.

hollywood
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I am pulling for the Tigers as well. Brownwoods Derek Longoria is from Glen Rose and has friends playing on that team. I talked with him just last night about it and really hopes us and them keep winning so he can get a chance to play against his old buddies.

BEAST

+1

wimbo_pro
11-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I dont know anything about Glen Rose...and very little about Region 1 teams (except for a few going back a couple of years). I dont know about their offense...their defense...their special teams..their history or their prospects for this year. I dont know about their opponents, their record, their injuries...nothing.

This is why I say Wimberley is going to beat Glen Rose, hands down.

hollywood
11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Not much talk on the board of them, but they do have a very salty team. Don't know about hands down, but anyone has a chance if they show up, right?

Glen Rose is coached very well and they do have some good athletes that work hard week in and week out. I know the QB is a heck of an athlete. They have a real good LB and kidsthat hit hard on the D. Several good WR's with 1 that really stands out. Should be a great game.

TexDad
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
If we play like we have in the first half of the last few games we will lose by 40, if we play like the second half of those games we have a good shot at winning. Our defense will have their hands fulls with GR's passing game.

hollywood
11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
How's Wimberly's offense? Balanced, run first then throw? Can they pass effectively if the run is shut down?

TexDad
11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Pretty balanced, they can run the ball good at times and throw well also. Several soph starters. Lots of injuries this year for some reason. Lost several starters to season ending injuries.

TexanAlum_06
11-11-2009, 06:00 PM
I can only go by what I have seen from us this year because I dont know anything about Glen Rose.

With that said, if we bring our A game and execute like I know we can then I like our chances against pretty much anybody. We have some good talent on our team. Our biggest killer this year has been inconsistency. A lot of teams have game planned on shutting down our RB Dennis Smith and a lot of teams have done a good job at it. But he is a deadly weapon who can score from anywhere. He might be heading into the 4th quarter with 30 yards rushing but then he will break an 80 yard run in the blink of an eye and totally change the course of a game. The team seems to feed off his energy and big plays.

We MUST start fast on offense. The last couple of games we have been very sloppy in the first half. We typically are a 2nd half team but in the playoffs that will get you beat more times than not.

If Glen Rose has a good passing game then they will likely have good success through the air. That is our defense's weakness plain and simple. We do pretty well at stopping the run.

hollywood
11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Dennis Smith is a very talented back and athlete. I've seen clips on this kid and yes... he is explosive. Injuries will hurt any team and it's unfortunate for these kids that go through it, especially season ending ones.

Glen Rose does pass the ball very well and has had success stopping good running teams.

It'll be interesting to see how these two match up and who brings their "A" game.

TexanAlum_06
11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Dennis Smith is a very talented back and athlete. I've seen clips on this kid and yes... he is explosive. Injuries will hurt any team and it's unfortunate for these kids that go through it, especially season ending ones.

Glen Rose does pass the ball very well and has had success stopping good running teams.

It'll be interesting to see how these two match up and who brings their "A" game.

I agree with you about the injuries. I hate to see that. We lost our best OL last week to a broken ankle. I think it will affect our run game because he was a beast.

lange4
11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Watch out for Wim QB. You key to much on Smith he will burn you.

gold_33
11-11-2009, 07:54 PM
We have to put a full game together to win, we cannot decide to show up in the second half and start playing. The only game I've seen us put together two good half's was against Burnet, Smith getting going and keeping the D off the field will be the key to this game.

Inmateboss
11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Wimberley all the way, Don't know anything about them, I don't even know where Wimberley is on a map. But I am Cheering them on all the way!

GO WIMBERLEY YA'LL CAN DO IT !!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :clap: :clap: :clap:

GrTigers6
11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST Well if we do meet in the playoffs Derek will have to play one half for us. :D
Maybe he will block your extra point to give us the win. :thinking: :D

hollywood
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Well if we do meet in the playoffs Derek will have to play one half for us. :D
Maybe he will block your extra point to give us the win. :thinking: :D

Haha, not likely. :D You have to get passed Wimberly first. :doh:

GR FAN
11-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Inmateboss
Wimberley all the way, Don't know anything about them, I don't even know where Wimberley is on a map. But I am Cheering them on all the way!

GO WIMBERLEY YA'LL CAN DO IT !!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would pull for Wimberley to if I was you, the chances of Graham escaping the wrath of the GR defense a second time is slim to none. GR by 17.

by the way does anyone know where I can pick up a good BBQ sandwich on the way to Killeen

theoldoaktree
11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by GR FAN
I would pull for Wimberley to if I was you, the chances of Graham escaping the wrath of the GR defense a second time is slim to none. GR by 17.

by the way does anyone know where I can pick up a good BBQ sandwich on the way to Killeen

Well if the matchup between graham/gr does happen again then graham will show that the game earlier in the year was just them playing down to the gr level, didnt focus on the game as much as how dirty gr was..

GR FAN
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by theoldoaktree
Well if the matchup between graham/gr does happen again then graham will show that the game earlier in the year was just them playing down to the gr level, didnt focus on the game as much as how dirty gr was..

good coaching will get you along ways, thanks to the great coach Dunn for keeping the GR players up for all the games no matter the opponent, get your boys up for Mhans so we can have yall home in time for the big 12 championship

by the way does anyone know where I can get a good BBQ sandwich on the way to Killeen

Inmateboss
11-12-2009, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GR FAN
[B]I would pull for Wimberley to if I was you, the chances of Graham escaping the wrath of the GR defense a second time is slim to none. GR by 17.

Thats what ya'll said last time!!!

GRAHAM STEERS

Glenrose

garciap77
11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I dont know anything about Glen Rose...and very little about Region 1 teams (except for a few going back a couple of years). I dont know about their offense...their defense...their special teams..their history or their prospects for this year. I dont know about their opponents, their record, their injuries...nothing.

This is why I say Wimberley is going to beat Glen Rose, hands down.

:iagree: :iagree:

GR FAN
11-13-2009, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GR FAN
[B]I would pull for Wimberley to if I was you, the chances of Graham escaping the wrath of the GR defense a second time is slim to none. GR by 17.

Thats what ya'll said last time!!!

GRAHAM STEERS

Glenrose

by virtue of a few untimely turnovers you escaped the first time, I said escape a second time, get your boys up for Mhans so GR can head west and bull dog some steers

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a BBQ sandwich on the way to Killeen

sandmaster
11-13-2009, 12:08 AM
This one should be a good game is Wimberley shows up. If they don't then Glen Rose might put it on them pretty good. Llano and District 8 got the best of them last year. I hope Wimberley keeps the streak going. Good luck Texans.

Inmateboss
11-13-2009, 12:10 AM
by virtue of a few untimely turnovers you escaped the first time, I said escape a second time, get your boys up for Mhans so GR can head west and bull dog some steers

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a BBQ sandwich on the way to Killeen

Were going to do Borger first, Friday is taking forever to get here!!! I just hope and pray we stay healthy. We got a date comming up with Rockets boys down in the Hood,to make good on a blocked XP. :D We'll be around.

GR FAN
11-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Were going to do Borger first, Friday is taking forever to get here!!! I just hope and pray we stay healthy. We got a date comming up with Rockets boys down in the Hood,to make good on a blocked XP. :D We'll be around.

we both got a little work to do before GR can think rematch, thank goodness for these boards to pass the time

does anyone know where I can get a good BBQ sandwich between here and Killeen

Rabid Cougar
11-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Bunkhouse BBQ on Highway 6 Clifton. That is if you go that way. Not quite sure the best way to get there from GR.

hollywood
11-13-2009, 07:12 AM
we both got a little work to do before GR can think rematch, thank goodness for these boards to pass the time

does anyone know where I can get a good BBQ sandwich between here and Killeen

Hope you getcha a BBQ sandwich somewhere... dang boy, you must be HUNGRY.

Hope Glen Rose wins. I'd love to see Brownwood have a chance at them. Got to see what happens down the road first.

Good luck.

StangEm
11-13-2009, 08:13 AM
From what I can tell this should be about as even a match as any in the state. Good luck to both teams.

GR FAN
11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Rabid Cougar-Thanks for the tip on Bunkhouse BBQ in Clifton, been by there many times just never stopped, probably going through Lampasas though-the bbq sandwich deal is actually in relation to CS. Went there last year for a bball game and yall had $1 BBQ sandwiches, matter of fact everything was a $1, real impressed with the CS prices, cant wait to get back there, can feed my family of 5 for $6. Wouldnt mind yall whippin up on Graham either we have a score to settle with yall too, if we both can hang around long enough!!!!!!!!

does anyone know where I can get a CHEAP BBQ sandwich between GR and Killeen?????????????

Rabid Cougar
11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
What score do you have with CS??

Oh yea.... Zero wins for decade.

GR FAN
11-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Hope you getcha a BBQ sandwich somewhere... dang boy, you must be HUNGRY.

Hope Glen Rose wins. I'd love to see Brownwood have a chance at them. Got to see what happens down the road first.

Good luck.

Hollywood, I will find a BBQ sandwich even if I have to go through China Springs to get one. Figure a game between us would have to be at Memorial. I will stop at the Hard 8 before our game, second thought prices probably arent comparable to China Springs, any suggestions, does memorial sell a BBQ sandwich

GR FAN
11-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Rabid Cougar-Cant hardly argue with that, yall have been tough the past few years, we should have stuck it to yall this year, but didnt get it done. I think GR felt bad for yall and wanted to help yall squeak into the playoffs. Heard your boys were begging at the line of scrimmage for GR not to knock them out of the playoffs. Cant help if the GR boys got a big heart. Dont get mad at me either and raise those BBQ sandwich prices, things are tough enough already with this economy

Rabid Cougar
11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I had heard CS was just letting GR get ahead of CS just so there would be at least one class at GR this decade that would know what that felt like.

GR FAN
11-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Rabid Cougar-if not for the blown call on the fumble at the goal line, we are not even having this conversation, little luck on CS side that night, I have to concentrate on Wimberley now or I will have to move to the basketball forum on Monday, lets see if CS and GR can take care of business between now and the quarter finals (some tough teams to get through) and I will by you a BBQ sandwich as we send the baby blue to the hardcourt.

GrTigers6
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
I had heard CS was just letting GR get ahead of CS just so there would be at least one class at GR this decade that would know what that felt like. Uh, we were up 13-0 at half three years ago or can you not remember that far back.

I wont mention the final score though. :D

Rabid Cougar
11-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Uh, we were up 13-0 at half three years ago or can you not remember that far back.

I wont mention the final score though. :D

Well there was a 38-13 and 41-13 and GR had 13 both times.

GrTigers6
11-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Well there was a 38-13 and 41-13 and GR had 13 both times. I think it was the 38-13 at GR

Inmateboss
11-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Rabid Cougar-Thanks for the tip on Bunkhouse BBQ in Clifton, been by there many times just never stopped, probably going through Lampasas though-the bbq sandwich deal is actually in relation to CS. Went there last year for a bball game and yall had $1 BBQ sandwiches, matter of fact everything was a $1, real impressed with the CS prices, cant wait to get back there, can feed my family of 5 for $6. Wouldnt mind yall whippin up on Graham either we have a score to settle with yall too, if we both can hang around long enough!!!!!!!!

does anyone know where I can get a CHEAP BBQ sandwich between GR and Killeen?????????????

Well the whipping up on Graham ain't going to happen but I can Mail you a BBQ sandwich.:D

TexanAlum_06
11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for hijacking the thread.:clap:

wimbo_pro
11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I just found out where to get a BBQ sandwich on the way to Killeen...real cheap. Is it too late?

GR FAN
11-14-2009, 02:28 AM
yeah it is too late now for the BBQ sandwich now, I am interested in the punchline though, I am sure it will be a good one. #5 for Wimberley was a HOSS, we had no answer for him all game as well as Wimberely had no answer for our passing attack, it came down to close calls and who executed at the end and it wasnt the Tigers this time. If I could have a redo on the 2nd and 2 at the 2 I would like it over. Congrats to Wimberley on a good win and how anyone stopped #5 all year is a mystery to me. With him to hand the ball to how did yall ever get to be 6-4?. I talked the talk, now it is time to walk the walk so all you Wimberley, China spring, Brownwood and Graham fans lets have it. But hurry i am moving to the basketball forum soon!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a good cheap BBQ sandwich here in Glen Rose?

Inmateboss
11-14-2009, 09:10 AM
yeah it is too late now for the BBQ sandwich now, I am interested in the punchline though, I am sure it will be a good one. #5 for Wimberley was a HOSS, we had no answer for him all game as well as Wimberely had no answer for our passing attack, it came down to close calls and who executed at the end and it wasnt the Tigers this time. If I could have a redo on the 2nd and 2 at the 2 I would like it over. Congrats to Wimberley on a good win and how anyone stopped #5 all year is a mystery to me. With him to hand the ball to how did yall ever get to be 6-4?. I talked the talk, now it is time to walk the walk so all you Wimberley, China spring, Brownwood and Graham fans lets have it. But hurry i am moving to the basketball forum soon!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a good cheap BBQ sandwich here in Glen Rose?

I have some fun leading up to a game and during a game, but I will never kick a man while he's down. It was a tough game to lose, there were a lot of teams that lost last night, and more to come. We don't know when we'll be airing up round balls. But when that happens, you can bet we'll hit the court running!!
Wave that Tiger flag, and support your team. Thats what this Forum is about, not trying to make a fan or a team feel bad, Good luck next year. :clap: :clap:

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 09:42 AM

No "giving it to you" from Wimberley. GR Fan, that BBQ sandwich comment was posted before the game began.

The only reason we won that game is because the clock ran out!!!LOL Talk about a slugfest with the last punch luckily given by us. you guys are very impressive.

The reason we lost so many games can be seen in our performance in the 1st half...turnovers. Plain and simple. And there were quite a few games where Smith didnt get the blocking he apparently got last night.

You guys show a lot of class and dignity...good luck to you!

GrTigers6
11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
I have some fun leading up to a game and during a game, but I will never kick a man while he's down. It was a tough game to lose, there were a lot of teams that lost last night, and more to come. We don't know when we'll be airing up round balls. But when that happens, you can bet we'll hit the court running!!
Wave that Tiger flag, and support your team. Thats what this Forum is about, not trying to make a fan or a team feel bad, Good luck next year. :clap: :clap: Thank you inmate boss. The good thing is our Basketball team will benefit from the loss since most of our starters are on Football team.
I hope we continue to play yall after realignment, It is a good rivalry Good luck next week. If yall make it to play Brownwood I will be there.

lbjacj
11-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by lange4
Watch out for Wim QB. You key to much on Smith he will burn you.

Very prophetic ! Blakemore's 35 yd TD run with 21 sec. was the difference!
What a game!Both teams left it all on the field.

lbjacj
11-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Heres an article from the San Marcos paper...

HS Football: Wimberley wins bi-district thriller

By Randy Stevens
Sports Editor

Killeen — When Wimberley quarterback Brooks Blakemore lost eight yards on a out-of-bounds keeper with 36 seconds left Friday night’s game against Glenrose, a quick shadow of doubt was cast on the Texans’ chances for a last-second win.

After all, the Texans were in field goal position, trailing 44-42 when Blakemore made the mistake of not getting rid of the ball before going out.

But the senior made up for his mistake in a big way on the following play. Running on a right-side keeper, Blakemore looked as if he was going to take the ball out of bounds after about a 15-yard gain. Instead, he got a good block from his younger brother, Brennen, creating a lane that Brooks used to score the game-winning score with 21 seconds left in the game. The 35-yard keeper allowed the Texans to come from behind for an exciting 49-44 win at Killeen’s Buckley Stadium.

“I thought about going out of bound, but then I saw my little brother make the cut block up field, so I turned it up and went for it,” said Brooks Blakemore, who had been careful to avoid contact since he is still nursing an injured shoulder. “Usually, because of my shoulder, I take the ball out of bounds. But I knew it was now or never, so I decided to go for it.”

The win allowed the Texans (7-4) to advance to the area round of the Class 3A, Division II playoffs next week where WHS will take on Iowa Park at 7:30 p.m. in Brownwood Friday night.

“These guys are the cardiac kids,” WHS head coach Weldon Nelms said. “They have always played better in the second half, and they never gave up in this one. I am extremely proud of these kids.”

Nelms said he was also glad to see Brooks Blakemore step up with the big play when the Texans really needed.

“I saw turn up, and I was just yelling ‘Go! Go! Go!’ and he came through when it counted most,” Nelms said. “He really made up for the mistake he made the play before.”

It looked like it was going to be a long night for the Texans when two Wimberley turnovers helped Glenrose jump out to a 16-0 lead in the first quarter.

The Tigers’ first touchdown was an 80-yard strike from Colt Plaster to Ty Taylor on the team’s second possession of the game.

The first Texan fumble helped set up a 39-yard field goal from Tanner Tongate to give the Tigers a 10-0 lead, as the second Wimberley turnover ended a good drive at the Tigers’ 27-yard line, as Plaster connected with Taylor for a 42-yard score with 2:31 left in the initial quarter. The kick failed, but the Tigers enjoyed a 16-0 lead after the first quarter

Glenrose looked like it was gong to run away with the game, but the Texans countered with three touchdowns in the second, all coming from sophomore running back Dennis Smith.

Smith scored on runs of seven, 63 and 44 yards to trim Glenrose’s lead to 23-21 with less than two minutes left in the half.

However, that was just enough time for the Tigers to throw up another score on the board when Plaster threw a 12-yard pass to Taylor, who then quickly pitched the ball to Dylan Rodriguez, who ran in 24 yards for the score with 21 seconds left before halftime. Tongate’s kick gave Glenrose a 30-21 lead going into halftime.

But the Texans continued to stay close, thanks to two scoring drives that were capped by 1-yard runs from Smith.

WHS looked to be in dire straits when Glenrose took a 44-35 lead with 6:09 left in the game when Plaster completed a 27-yard screen pass to Dylan Rodriguez.

But the Texans were able to score on their next possession, as Brooks Blakemore crossed the goal line from seven yards out to trim Glenrose’s lead to 44-42 with 3:29 remaining.

The Tigers couldn’t move the ball after a pair of holding calls, and a personal foul call against Glenrose on the punt return put the Texans at the Tigers’ 40-yard line with 1:04 left in the game.

That was all the time Wimberley needed, as Brooks Blakemore came through with his game-winning score five plays later.

Glenrose tried desperately to score on its last possession, but Plaster’s pass was picked off by Brennen Blakemore, ending the game.

The Texans were able to pull off the win despite a remarkable night from Plaster, who completed 26-of-34 for 499 yards and four touchdowns. His top receiver was Taylor with 22 grabs for 221 yards.

Wimberley’s Smith turned in a career performance as well, rushing for 217 yards on 35 attempts.

Rocket
11-14-2009, 05:57 PM
FYI:

Most forms of football have a move known as a tackle. The primary purposes of tackling is to disposses an opponent of the ball, to stop the player from gaining ground towards goal or to stop them from carrying out what they intend.

The word is used in some contact variations of football to describe the act of physically holding or wrestling a player to the ground. In others, it simply describes one or more methods of contesting for possession of the ball. It can therefore be used as both a defensive or attacking move.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
FYI:

Most forms of football have a move known as a tackle. The primary purposes of tackling is to disposses an opponent of the ball, to stop the player from gaining ground towards goal or to stop them from carrying out what they intend.

The word is used in some contact variations of football to describe the act of physically holding or wrestling a player to the ground. In others, it simply describes one or more methods of contesting for possession of the ball. It can therefore be used as both a defensive or attacking move.

Book marked and saved for future use, rocket.

Rocket
11-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Book marked and saved for future use, rocket.

Good, maybe your coaches can get that fixed and at least make a game of it come Thanksgiving.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Good, maybe your coaches can get that fixed and at least make a game of it come Thanksgiving.

Not worried about BW yet...only Iowa Park.

GrTigers6
11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
FYI:

The word is used in some contact variations of football to describe the act of physically holding or wrestling a player to the ground. In others, it simply describes one or more methods of contesting for possession of the ball. It can therefore be used as both a defensive or attacking move. You mean like yall did against Wylie. :D

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 06:49 PM
You mean like yall did against Wylie. :D

NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! DAYUMMMM!!!!

GrTigers6
11-14-2009, 06:56 PM
NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! DAYUMMMM!!!! I can talk now since we don't have to play them anymore this year.:)