PDA

View Full Version : Region III GOTW: Gilmer vs. Jasper

easttexas3a
11-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Just wanted to nominate this game as the region 3 gotw. Jasper only has 2 losses, an early season 42-14 loss to Gilmer which they were only down 8-7 at half. And then a 27-3 loss to Carthage which had to score two td's in the 4th to put it away.

Jasper to me is a clear top 15 team, and will be facing what many consider the #1 team in the state. Should be a good game, and is worthy.

PS, will some moderator please correct this Jasper option to say Jasper 8-2, I had a typo on the dash

j_dog
11-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Gilmer 10-0 2 33.33%
Jasper 8-2 4 66.67%

this proves that Jasper has more homers on this board than Gilmer. At least at this moment. Surely will soon change.

easttexas3a
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
To me it proves that there are lots of people who want to see Gilmer fail. I expect it to be similar to the game earlier this season. Close first half, Gilmer pulls away in second half.

42-21 is what I am going to go with.

poisoned10
11-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I expect Gilmer to win against Jasper again.

I think it will be about like it was in the last meeting, but the scoring will be more spread out.

Aesculus gilmus
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I think many of the Gilmer fans are still suffering a huge letdown from the Chapel Hill 6-point win over Gladewater (not 7, as was needed), thus rendering irrelevant the much-ballyhooed "Code Red" slogan being used as the buildup to (what we thought was) the inevitable rematch with Carthage in the Division II quarterfinals, followed by the inevitable "taking of revenge" by the Buckeyes, since they are never beat twice in a row by the same team.

I am on record as having wanted to go Division I so we could see some new opponents, although we're not off to a good start in that regard.

But I think the only time we'd not be playing a new opponent after this week would be the eventual rematch with Abilene Wylie, should it occur.

Not to look ahead too much, but I can't help but notice that La Vega may well be the opponent after this one. Their coach could only postpone having to play the dreaded Buckeyes by a year, it looks like.

easttexas3a
11-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Before the year started I wanted the buckeyes toget a rematch with carthage. I still do but.......I am glad we are going to be playing new teams if we advance past Jasper.

To be honest I am feeling kind of scared of this years playoff run. Sooo many expectations on this particular group. Lots of pressure on this team to win it all. I think they can. It appears we will be tested right off the bat with Jasper, and you have to figure La Vega will be a tough test considering recent history, and the fact the district they came out of is so good. After that, as we all know, eveyrone will be good.

poisoned10
11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I, too, wanted to see Gilmer go DI because of the new opponents, but also wanted a rematch with Carthage. It would have been nice to be able to send them home in the 1st round.

Oh, well, maybe next year . . .

Pawdaddy
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Gilmer should win this week, period. However, the Buckeyes were shown to be weak against a good runnning team. If Tatum could have capitalized on their ball control offense, it would have been different. They had almost 20 minutes of possession time in the first half and scored 0 points. And, Tatum passed the ball quite well in the second half.

Gilmer will find games much different than they have played for the past 4-5 weeks now that they are in the playoffs. An off week offensively could make for a disappointing holiday. I am hoping for some good defensive schemes geared to stop new opponents strengths, and athleticism to cover the wrinkles that all teams bring at this time of year.

I saw Carthage absolutely dismantle a Jasper offense in the second half, on Jasper's home field. Jasper is not fast enough to contain Gilmer's first 8 or 9 offensive skill players. Yes, I did say 8 or 9. Gilmer will score early and often. 56-19 should be close.

LE Dad
11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I am ready :clap: :clap: I want to see an exciting football game. I am sure both teams have improved dramatically.

Come on Saturday!! :D

BuckeyeNut
11-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Gilmer wins this game bye 4 TD's. Jasper has went down hill since they played to Buckeyes in SFA. They are not ready for the speed and strength of Gilmer.

BuckeyeNut
11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Gilmer 10-0 2 33.33%
Jasper 8-2 4 66.67%

this proves that Jasper has more homers on this board than Gilmer. At least at this moment. Surely will soon change.

naw we just are slow today, and we must have won the toss to be playing in Tyler.

waterboy
11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
:mad: No rematch!!:mad: I really would've loved a rematch! Well, shoot, it ain't gonna happen.......so I guess we'll just have to beat the next team we face.......Jasper. The Bulldogs could cause some problems for our defense......IF our defense plays like they did against Tatum. I look for a BIG emphasis on defense this week by the Buckeyes. That probably doesn't bode well for Jasper. I'll take Gilmer in this one.......:D I don't care if we win by 30 points, or by 1 point, so long as we win!;)

poisoned10
11-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
naw we just are slow today, and we must have won the toss to be playing in Tyler.

From what I was told by one of the players, not saying this is true or false, but the Jasper head coach wouldn't agree on any location offered from Coach Traylor. Finally, Coach Traylor said you tell us where you want to play and we will be there.

Again, not saying that's exactly what happened, but that is what I was told by one of the players.

waterboy
11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
From what I was told by one of the players, not saying this is true or false, but the Jasper head coach wouldn't agree on any location offered from Coach Traylor. Finally, Coach Traylor said you tell us where you want to play and we will be there.

Again, not saying that's exactly what happened, but that is what I was told by one of the players.
I seriously doubt this because it doesn't make any sense. Why would the Jasper coach pick a stadium that is as far away as TMF/Rose Stadium when he could've picked a much closer stadium such as Homer Bryce? Also TMF/Rose is like a home away from home for the Buckeyes as often as they've played there.....:thinking:

poisoned10
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I seriously doubt this because it doesn't make any sense. Why would the Jasper coach pick a stadium that is as far away as TMF/Rose Stadium when he could've picked a much closer stadium such as Homer Bryce? Also TMF/Rose is like a home away from home for the Buckeyes as often as they've played there.....:thinking:

That's what I was thinking. Like I said, I'm not saying that it's true or that I even believe it, that's just what was said.

It doesn't make sense to me neither, but it may or may not be the case.

Bullaholic
11-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt, other than being an ardent Texas HS football fan.

I remember a similar scenario to this in 2003(?) when Decatur had an all-world team that was supposed to win state. They absolutely destroyed an Abilene Wylie team during the regular season by a similar margin, but lost to them in the playoffs.

What does this say?---absoulutely nothing about either of these teams--but just a reminder that almost anything can, and sometimes does, happen.

Gilmer should win this one, but the desire factor of the underdog cannot be underestimated---the Bulls almost found this out the hard way last Friday against Decatur.

poisoned10
11-09-2009, 01:45 PM
There is only two instances that Gilmer has played a team in the regular season and the playoffs since the 2000 season.

The 1st being in 2004, when Gilmer beat Pleasant Grove, 20-7 in week 4 in Gilmer and then beat them 43-6 in the 1st round of the playoffs in Longview.

The 2nd being in 2005, when Gilmer went to Daingerfield in week 5 and lost, 17-26 and then beat them 42-32 in the 1st round of the playoffs in Mt. Pleasant.

T-daddy
11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Jasper wanted to play in lufkin gilmer did not, jasper lost flip so its tyler..

JasperDog94
11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I seriously doubt this because it doesn't make any sense. Why would the Jasper coach pick a stadium that is as far away as TMF/Rose Stadium when he could've picked a much closer stadium such as Homer Bryce? Also TMF/Rose is like a home away from home for the Buckeyes as often as they've played there.....:thinking: This really sucks for all the Jasper fans. With these two team I just can't believe that they couldn't agree on a neutral site.:(

waterboy
11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I can't say as I blame Coach Traylor for not agreeing to the Lufkin stadium. That stadium is terrible. I'm surprised they couldn't agree to play at Homer Bryce, that would've made more sense,......but I'm definitely not gonna complain about playing closer to home at TMF/Rose!

easttexas3a
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I had heard they wanted Jasper, we wanted tyler. Jasper didn't want to go back to homer bryce, not sure I blame them. Lufkin for Gilmer would of been about a 3 hour drive, and for Jasper roughly 45 mins. Tyler is about 2 and a half hours for jasper, about 45 min for Gilmer.

I don't think the outcome of the game will be decided cause of where you play, but I think it can't hurt to be in a stadium you have played at every year for several of the past years.

Aesculus gilmus
11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Lufkin's not three hours from Gilmer unless you're driving like an old lady (no offense meant to old ladies). I can get to Houston in around four hours and Lufkin's about halfway.

lostaussie
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
Lufkin for Gilmer would of been about a 3 hour drive you my friend, are the reason i am late to the games:D

easttexas3a
11-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Haha, it takes about two and a half hours for me, I do drive a bit slow and have to make a stop every where I go. My wife hates me lol.

pirate4state
11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Is this the official GOTW? If so, it needs a sticky.

Astrosdawg07
11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I can't say as I blame Coach Traylor for not agreeing to the Lufkin stadium. That stadium is terrible.

Are you serious? Have you been there lately? Very nice and intimidating place to place.

JasperDog94
11-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Are you serious? Have you been there lately? Very nice and intimidating place to place. I certainly wouldn't say Lufkin is a terrible place to play. Easy to get to and a pretty nice stadium.

Luckily for Jasper this game has been moved to Saturday. I hate the fact that we ask people to get to a game by 7:30 on a Friday night when it takes a good 3 hours to get there. Not everyone has the option to get off of work early.

easttexas3a
11-10-2009, 02:25 AM
This is not the official gotw but the region 3 editor hasn't posted anything, so I took it upon myself to name it as a potential gotw if they chose to sticky it. I personally think it is the GOTW.

Aesculus gilmus
11-10-2009, 07:38 AM
The Region 3 editor decided not to discriminate, saying something akin to "every game is the game of the week" once you reach the playoffs.

waterboy
11-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Are you serious? Have you been there lately? Very nice and intimidating place to place.
Yes, I'm serious. We played WO-S there last year in the third round of the playoffs. It's not really a "terrible" stadium, but there are MUCH better venues elsewhere........ Homer Bryce is a whole LOT better, IMO.:thumbsup:

Aesculus gilmus
11-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Yes, I'm serious. We played WO-S there last year in the third round of the playoffs. It's not really a "terrible" stadium, but there are MUCH better venues elsewhere........ Homer Bryce is a whole LOT better, IMO.:thumbsup:

I can understand Jasper thinking that field is "jinxed" for them, though.

I'd be about ready to strangle anyone who ever agreed to play another Gilmer game at Floyd Casey Stadium after having lost two state title games there.

waterboy
11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I can understand Jasper thinking that field is "jinxed" for them, though.

I'd be about ready to strangle anyone who ever agreed to play another Gilmer game at Floyd Casey Stadium after having lost two state title games there.
That's an angle I didn't really think about, but it does make sense. Maybe that's why Jasper's coach wanted to play elsewhere (Lufkin), because he doesn't like the history of Jasper's games at Homer Bryce.:thinking: I guess since they couldn't agree, it went to a coin toss and Coach Traylor won.

You're right about Floyd Casey. I wouldn't care if we ever played there again. That place sucks!:mad: :D

44INAROW
11-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Should this be "stickied" aka is this the OFFICIAL Reg III thread?

j_dog
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Should this be "stickied" aka is this the OFFICIAL Reg III thread?
perhaps it was just PROPOSED as the gotw. :thinking:

BuckeyeNut
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Dont matter were we play. The players dont care, Jeff try's to pick places were we all can fit into and not have to Drive far bc in a few weeks were going to trucking have way across the state.

Aesculus gilmus
11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
perhaps it was just PROPOSED as the gotw. :thinking:

Let me repeat. The Region III editor, whose identity is unknown to me, wrote a few days ago that "every game" is a "game of the week" once you get to the playoffs so he or she is not going to "sticky" this for you.

In general, it is always best to avoid "sticky" situations.

44INAROW
11-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Let me repeat. The Region III editor, whose identity is unknown to me, wrote a few days ago that "every game" is a "game of the week" once you get to the playoffs so he or she is not going to "sticky" this for you.

In general, it is always best to avoid "sticky" situations.
I didn't mean to start anything - I just was going to stickie if Reg III Editor wanted it stickied.. no problem.. love the "sticky situation" play on words lol funny stuff

j_dog
11-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I didn't mean to start anything - I just was going to stickie if Reg III Editor wanted it stickied.. no problem.. love the "sticky situation" play on words lol funny stuff
hey, if he won't do it, go for it. sticky it 44, region 3 deserves it's gotw!

thank you for "stickying" up for us! :clap: