PDA

View Full Version : WOS (8-2) vs Coldspring (8-2)

WOS1
11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
This looks to be one of the better first round games in DII.

Thoughts?

trojandad
11-07-2009, 05:09 PM
you really think most people on here think it'll be a good game?

i think most think we're little more than a speed bump for you guys.....

i think this will be the best of the three games we've played....

WOS1
11-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Well, there hasn't been much talk around here about either team, so I'm not sure what people think. I know WOS folks don't see Coldspring as a "speedbump". More like a hurdle.:D

trojandad
11-07-2009, 05:24 PM
i was looking at the stats for your qb last night......such a great game....

WOS87
11-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by trojandad

Both Orangefield and WO-S have TONS coming back next year, and if Orangefield can put together a defense they will be a major force to be reckoned with. Coach Huckabay did an amazing job over there this year!

trojandad
11-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Both Orangefield and WO-S have TONS coming back next year, and if Orangefield can put together a defense they will be a major force to be reckoned with. Coach Huckabay did an amazing job over there this year!

especially after their coach came to coldspring this year as defensive coordinator.....i thought they'd be down this year.....ended up with a 1,000 yd rusher at qb......

WOS1
11-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Yeah, Reggie had an outstanding game last night. He hs been getting better each wee with his feet. He throws the ball well, too. Just haven't been doing it much lately. I think he still eek'd out 1,000 yards for the season.

WOS1
11-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Bump

88bobcats
11-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't know that much about Rockdale's team this year.....but they better pack a big lunch for their next opponent.

I've heard comments that WO-S is "down" this year from other years. I prefer to believe that district 21-3AAA is much more competitive, and that the Mustangs are forced to contend with better opponents.

The Trojans always have loads of talent and speed. The addition of Blake Morrison as D.C. tells me that the Mustangs better be ready for a re-vamped Trojan defense.

I do think this is going to be a great game. I think I might just have to make the drive over to Huffman for this one.

OldBison75
11-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Whatever you do, don't assume that WOS is gonna beat Coldspring with ease. You folks talking about Rockdale already might be overlooking a pretty darn good Trojan team. They have speed and are much better this year than what you saw last year. Remember, they held a pretty potent Cleveland offense to 14 points and with a break or two would have beaten them. If WOS wins against Coldspring, they will then have a pretty dang salty Rockdale team to deal with. BUT, they have not won this week yet and I for one am not sure that this week is a given.

WOS1
11-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Whatever you do, don't assume that WOS is gonna beat Coldspring with ease. You folks talking about Rockdale already might be overlooking a pretty darn good Trojan team. They have speed and are much better this year than what you saw last year. Remember, they held a pretty potent Cleveland offense to 14 points and with a break or two would have beaten them. If WOS wins against Coldspring, they will then have a pretty dang salty Rockdale team to deal with. BUT, they have not won this week yet and I for one am not sure that this week is a given.

No one from WOS thinks anything is a given.

trojandad
11-08-2009, 12:45 AM
bottom line for me is i just don't know how good we are....is a reason i haven't called harder for us to be ranked or unranked....i was watching the cleveland game with friends on the cleveland side and all i heard after the game from the cleveland people was "we're lucky to have won".....simply put, we outgained, out defensed, out everything with cleveland except outscored, their go ahead touchdown was a 55 yd pass when a defender slipped....but i don't "sour grapes" the game because we had so many other opportunities to win, the game just felt like we did everything except outpoint the indians, even to a lot of the indian fans......

last years trojan teams allowed almost 26 points a game, including a 36 pt loss to wo-s, this year with the same opponents we're allowing a shade over 16 pts a game.....our offense is much more diverse and not based on the big horse in the middle we had the previous 3 years.....

if you notice i've given silsbee and jasper fans grief this year about why they didn't bury diboll as we did (looking for common opponents) as well as wondering why 24 3a teams didn't bury madisonville like we did, well we have an opponent like that, i can't figure out the corrigan game we lost 35 - 20, it'd be different if corrigan was their usual state ranked selves, but they weren't, they're very average this year especially compared to their high standards.....it wasn't a game we gave away, though we did outfumble them, we just weren't in the game.....our defense didn't adjust to them in the 2nd half and they scored 28 EASY points the 2nd half.....

i think we're a good team that's at ease running or passing with equal confidence if one or the other isn't working, with a good defense, but neither facet being a great one....i believe our greatest strength is that qb allen is one of those kids that doesn't get down when behind, our horse scott last year got down easily and seemed to take the team down in attitude with him....i'm sure hoping getting 300 yds in total offense in one quarter against liberty, then resting everyone will give the guys the boost they need to overcome the mental block they have with wo-s....i'm confident a win over wo-s would allow them a mental chance to carry them deep in the playoffs.....but beating wo-s any year, even a down one is a big "if".....

sure looking forward to it.....

WOS1
11-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I think it should be a good one. I also agree with what Bobcat said about our district. People keep talking about us being "down", but we lost to Silsbee and Jasper. There is nothing embarrassing about that. We are playing the best we have all season right now.

trojandad
11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
yea, ideally i wish we coulda played you guys about a month ago....lol

trojandad
11-09-2009, 01:47 PM
ok, friends, still looking for a place to eat at huffman.....i'm thinking its as close to go to atascocita as itwould be to go to crosby, but either way would appreciate some suggestions.....and not too expensive either, i volunteered to feed 87.......:1omg!:

Old Tiger
11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Whats the scoop on each team? Offensive scheme and what they do defensively? Is WOS still without Franks? How has he effected them?

WOS1
11-09-2009, 10:22 PM
WO-S runs the Spread offense, CS runs the Wing T. WOS is very young and has played inconsistently this year, but have been playing much more consistently the last 4 games. WOS runs the 50, I think CS does too. Yes, we are still without Franks, but as weird as it may seem, the offense has played better since he left. Not that we're glad he's gone, but other players appear to have stepped up in his absence. There has been talk he will be back this week.

griff
11-10-2009, 07:35 AM
ok, friends, still looking for a place to eat at huffman.....i'm thinking its as close to go to atascocita as itwould be to go to crosby, but either way would appreciate some suggestions.....and not too expensive either, i volunteered to feed 87.......:1omg!:

Go to Atascocita. You'll have many more eateries to choose from, and most are right there at the main intersection.

griff
11-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
Yes, we are still without Franks, but as weird as it may seem, the offense has played better since he left. Not that we're glad he's gone, but other players appear to have stepped up in his absence. There has been talk he will be back this week.

Seriously? Man, I had given up on this. That would upgrade our play on defense, and would inspire the whole team. Post more more when you know more. Don't make me go ask you know who. ;)

WOS1
11-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Well, the folks I speak with aren't saying much about it and are preparing to play without him. All the "possibility" is, is another distraction in a season full of injuries and distractions. I think they are going to keep discussion about this to a minimum. Come Friday night and see if he's on the field because I nor the "other guy" will likely find out anything definitive before then.

Our defense has been good without him, so he will not make or break us...;) :D But, you know that. On a different note, DeJewel Nelson IS back and will be playing this week at DE. Huge!

GUNHO
11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75

We don't Bison.We at wo-s know every game that we might play in the playoffs this year will be a battle no matter who the opponent is.

trojandad
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
coldspring has run more of a split backfield pro set this year than i've ever seen them run and FAR more shotgun formations, we've needed to run the shotgun for ages with some of the speedy kids we've had....

statewide
11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
The Mustangs go down in round one this year.

Old Tiger
11-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm excited to see a Rockdale/West Orange-Stark match up if it happens because I have never seen WO-S play.

If Rockdale/WO-S game is the game I see it being played in the Houston area.

If it is Rockdale/Coldspring...it'll depend on who wins the coin toss. Rockdale winning I see this game being played in College Station and if Coldspring wins i see it being played in Huntsville.

WOS1
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by statewide
The Mustangs go down in round one this year.

That is a possibility.

trojandad
11-10-2009, 09:37 PM
my favorite example for this time of year was the 1975 ennis lions, i covered them for the waxahachie newspaper in my freshman year of college for extra money (after leaving the 74 cleveland indians that were preseason state ranked team only to go 1-9 over racial fights), in the first game 3a ennis played 2a much inferior athens and got beat, then tied some school from waco, then proceeded to win every game they played, including a close state championship game against cuero for their first state championship....

they did all this without having one single player named to any all state team (we at 3a cleveland had 4 div I players in our previous year disaster)....i took that lesson as living proof that the best team can beat the best talent, and the greatness of football to me when compared to all other sports is that the team concept prevails in this sport more than baseball or basketball (i know, here come the objectors).....

i think wo-s doesn't get enough props sometimes for their team work because so many top rung athletes come from there and its easier to "blame" their success on the quality of athlete or their superior numbers at the school....

our game against them two years ago was a talent blowout of us, plain and simple, last year it was almost tied at half with wo-s making good team adjustments at half to take away our big guy up the middle, we could have changed at half and didn't....

we rode an incredible ride in 92, though grieving for coach peveto dying earlier that year, beat state ranked teams the entire way to state, many we had no business talentwise beating....whoever wins on friday, i hope, will win for their overall team play, not from drives fumbled away or several tip drill interceptions, if that quality of game happens, i'll be tickled....

i think we're a stronger team without our star of the last three years, and i think the madisonville margin of victory being much larger than any of the other strong teams in 24 3a over the mustangs shows (with 3 different examples) that we could compete with those talented teams, and if the beat down memories of the past two years don't make mental giants of wo-s in the trojans eyes, it appears we have a "team" that can compete with them.....i believe it'll be a 3 pt game either way with the team with the fewest turnovers winning.....good luck to both teams and go trojans......!!

GUNHO
11-11-2009, 09:03 AM
my favorite example for this time of year was the 1975 ennis lions, i covered them for the waxahachie newspaper in my freshman year of college for extra money (after leaving the 74 cleveland indians that were preseason state ranked team only to go 1-9 over racial fights), in the first game 3a ennis played 2a much inferior athens and got beat, then tied some school from waco, then proceeded to win every game they played, including a close state championship game against cuero for their first state championship....

they did all this without having one single player named to any all state team (we at 3a cleveland had 4 div I players in our previous year disaster)....i took that lesson as living proof that the best team can beat the best talent, and the greatness of football to me when compared to all other sports is that the team concept prevails in this sport more than baseball or basketball (i know, here come the objectors).....

i think wo-s doesn't get enough props sometimes for their team work because so many top rung athletes come from there and its easier to "blame" their success on the quality of athlete or their superior numbers at the school....

our game against them two years ago was a talent blowout of us, plain and simple, last year it was almost tied at half with wo-s making good team adjustments at half to take away our big guy up the middle, we could have changed at half and didn't....

we rode an incredible ride in 92, though grieving for coach peveto dying earlier that year, beat state ranked teams the entire way to state, many we had no business talentwise beating....whoever wins on friday, i hope, will win for their overall team play, not from drives fumbled away or several tip drill interceptions, if that quality of game happens, i'll be tickled....

i think we're a stronger team without our star of the last three years, and i think the madisonville margin of victory being much larger than any of the other strong teams in 24 3a over the mustangs shows (with 3 different examples) that we could compete with those talented teams, and if the beat down memories of the past two years don't make mental giants of wo-s in the trojans eyes, it appears we have a "team" that can compete with them.....i believe it'll be a 3 pt game either way with the team with the fewest turnovers winning.....good luck to both teams and go trojans......!!

Good post .I'm not going to beat my chest and say you are going down like some do.I look at things and try to put them in perspective the best I can.Coldspring is a much improved team from last year and are capable of beating wo-s.WO-S is a little down from last year but are capable of beating Coldspring.This should be an evenly matched game and that's why I think the outcome will be determind by the team with the fewer mistakes as you do.I look for a low scoring game with the winner not getting out of the twenties.

WOS1
11-11-2009, 09:29 AM

I agree with you, totally! I honestly think that's why we have played better since we lost our star athlete. I think we've been forced to be a team. I think earlier in the year, with the youth we had many of the kids were kind of standing around waiting for Trey to win games or make plays. Now, there is no more Trey and they have had to become a team. I think they are like, "hey, we are a good TEAM without him!".

I will not make any poporediction ether, I think it's going to be a tough one.

trojandad
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
i've been thinkin about this one.....you "fans" of wo-s keep your louisiana traveling money in your pockets, come to huffman, we'll let you guys spring for the first round and we'll forfeit the game since we have no chance against you guys, that'll allow us more party time until late into the night......we'll celebrate wos87's 40th + 1 week birthday till late into the early morning hours and top it off by breaking into cleveland's video room on the way home and blame it on the remaining coaches....:thinking: :thinking:

man am i glad we play these out.......