PDA

View Full Version : Cuero vs. SA Sam Houston

12thMan
11-07-2009, 02:56 PM
The game is scheduled @ 7:30 in Seguin on Friday night.

S.H. went 8-2 during the regular season. What else do we know about this team? Who did they lose too?

sotex
11-07-2009, 03:12 PM
I know they lost to 4A Medina Valley, but I'm not sure who the other loss was to. Last year they went 3-7. Their motivation this year has been the school district wanting to close their school to save money. When the year started their head coach was on the radio saying how hard it would be for them to close the school if the football team wins a state championship. They have some athletes but I'm not sure they can hang with the likes of Cuero.

12thMan
11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks,

Yea, I was reading some past write-ups about SA wanting to close their school. I wonder what the score was v. La Vernia.

29-3aFAN
11-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 12thMan
Thanks,

Yea, I was reading some past write-ups about SA wanting to close their school. I wonder what the score was v. La Vernia.
They beat La Vernia 21-13 as per www.mysa.com

44INAROW
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
pretty sure they lost to Luling - that was the week the Luling coach passed away...

29-3aFAN
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Cuero will handle their business here.

Blue42
11-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I think they are the Hurricanes I hope they dont bring Ida.

12thMan
11-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I have no doubt Cuero will handle business. We need to play lights out defense though!!!

hsfootballfan
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
The game is scheduled @ 7:30 in Seguin on Friday night.

S.H. went 8-2 during the regular season. What else do we know about this team? Who did they loose too?

Sam Houston lost to Luling the day after Luling's coach passed away for their only district loss. They have some speedy little escape artists who somehow break tackle after tackle and speed downfield. They have some really good athletes, but they lack the controlled technique that Cuero has. Cuero is such a well-disciplined, consistent team that they will systematically wear the Hurricanes down IMO.

12thMan
11-08-2009, 08:37 AM
According to DCTF, they have some size up front also. Nothing Cuero can't handle. Are we home or away?

CueroDad08
11-08-2009, 09:47 AM
According to DCTF, they have some size up front also. Nothing Cuero can't handle. Are we home or away?

Cuero will be Home

jp744
11-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Cuero fans and players.
Sam Houston is a very big athletic and talented team. They lack discipline and hustle. They take plays off and don't go hard when they get tired because they are not in shape. They will fumble the ball at least three times a game the problem is that they are so talented that they pick it up and that is when they are dangerous. Your out of position and they take it to the house. I have seen Cuero play and Sam play and Sam is bigger and overall team speed faster than Cuero. They have lots of talent but just no discipline what so ever. They will have at least 4-5 substitution infraction penalties. I think Cuero will win and put it on Sam Houston but you have to respect them.

Offense - Cuero has better offense. All the formations you guys run will confuse them and they will start yelling and screaming at each other.

Defense - Cuero has a better defense. All though Sam has some really talented young players they just have never played in an atmosphere like they will enter in Seguin

Special Team - Cuero. I don't think that Sam Houston practices special teams they rely on their tremendous speed to make plays but Cuero has a ton of speed as well. Sam Houston's punt might sail over the punters head a couple of times.

Overall Cuero will capitalize on all of Sam Houston's mistakes and pound them into the turf in Seguin on Friday. I say 49-14. Tyler Arndt will have a great day. his standard 13-20 for 240 and 2 td's

Blue42
11-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Sounds like a big city team lots of talent but lack of discipline too many out side distractions. That's why I choose to raise my kids in a small town.

jp744
11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah me too. I choose LaVernia.

12thMan
11-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Sounds like they are a very dangerous team. We have our work cut out for us.

It's playoff time, there's no time for the weak. Let's get physical Gobbler defense. Go Mean Green!

IHStangFan
11-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Cuero by 14

unclebeebeep
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
All I want to know is who is the home team?

gobbler grad
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
CUERO is the home team

Blue42
11-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Is the home side the side closest to hy123?

12thMan
11-08-2009, 07:56 PM
That is the vistor side closest to the hwy. Y'all remember the fog bowl a few years back. That was a crazy game.

Blue42
11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
That was one of the best HS football games I have ever seen!

Nursebetty
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by hsfootballfan
Sam Houston lost to Luling the day after Luling's coach passed away for their only district loss. They have some speedy little escape artists who somehow break tackle after tackle and speed downfield. They have some really good athletes, but they lack the controlled technique that Cuero has. Cuero is such a well-disciplined, consistent team that they will systematically wear the Hurricanes down IMO. appreciate your comment, hsfootballfan, about Cuero being consistent and disciplined...thanks. :)

Mean Green Fan
11-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Cuero by 14

I agree:thumbsup:

chubbedup
11-09-2009, 04:50 AM
went to the game friday night against edna and the d line for cuero looked fairly weak. no where near what reeve traditionally looks for in a defensive line.

12thMan
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by chubbedup
went to the game friday night against edna and the d line for cuero looked fairly weak. no where near what reeve traditionally looks for in a defensive line.

Most of those guys go both ways. But your right, not same as years past. But they are still good. Sometimes, you just have to go with what you got.

IMO, Logan, #61 needs to be out there on defense a little more. When he is out there, he makes things happen. No doubt he's the strongest on the team!!

unclebeebeep
11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
That Rickman kid #33 is good on defense for Cuero and when he is in at fullback on offense he makes a good hole for Jackson #27

12thMan
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by unclebeebeep
That Rickman kid #33 is good on defense for Cuero and when he is in at fullback on offense he makes a good hole for Jackson #27

Yes he is. He is very good and goes all out. He's not the strongest or the fastest, but makes an impact on both sides of the ball.

crabman
11-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I would bet that the announcer gets tired of saying the name Tanner Hoffman. He is the tight end, linebacker, kicks extra points and handles kickoff duties. He gets to come to the sidelines during kickoff return. That only happens when the other team scores so that is not real often. He will be first team all district on offense and defense. Pound for pound, one of the best football players on the field. Tyler is a great player. Trent is a great player. Tanner is everything that those two are. You will occassionally see him miss a pass but you will never see him miss a tackle. The best part of it all is that he is still a junior. I just can't say enough about him.

shamu85
11-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Sam Houston = some of the ugliest football uniforms ever devised.

12thMan
11-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I have to agree 100% with you about Tanner. He is everything you want in a football player and more.

rojosgirl
11-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Tanner is great in the classroom as well. Also one of the most polite kids I've ever known.

:thumbsup:

Frontline Force
11-10-2009, 10:36 AM
cuero by 7

Green Bling
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by crabman
I would bet that the announcer gets tired of saying the name Tanner Hoffman. He is the tight end, linebacker, kicks extra points and handles kickoff duties. He gets to come to the sidelines during kickoff return. That only happens when the other team scores so that is not real often. He will be first team all district on offense and defense. Pound for pound, one of the best football players on the field. Tyler is a great player. Trent is a great player. Tanner is everything that those two are. You will occassionally see him miss a pass but you will never see him miss a tackle. The best part of it all is that he is still a junior. I just can't say enough about him.

Ditto, Crabman. Ask the guys that line up against him in practice. Hoffman only knows one gear. Full bore.

12thMan
11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Anybody know what kind of offense SH runs. From the the stats on Gobbler Sports, they have 2 real good rb's.

statewide
11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Cuero in I or II?

44INAROW
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by statewide
Cuero in I or II?

Cuero and Sam Houston are both in Div 1

SHSBulldog00
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Cuero Rolls!!!!!

jp744
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Anybody know what kind of offense SH runs. From the the stats on Gobbler Sports, they have 2 real good rb's.

Yes they are very basic. Pro I, Split Backs and they run toss, option. Double twins one back and always motion #24 into the backfield and run counter and so on. Can't throw though. But the quarterback drops back for pass and you have to respect their speed and everyone runs off deep and the QB scrambles which is their best play. They do not run a type of offense they kinda make stuff up as it happens which makes them tough to defend. If you blitz the QB he will make you miss and now he is dangerous. But he is really small so if you grab him he is going down. Just hard to grab him. #90 #71 are great looking athletes big athletic and are sophmores

tlc84
11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Yes he is. He is very good and goes all out. He's not the strongest or the fastest, but makes an impact on both sides of the ball. How many tackles did Rickman have on Friday night against Edna??

SintonFan
11-10-2009, 11:21 PM
That is the vistor side closest to the hwy. Y'all remember the fog bowl a few years back. That was a crazy game.

Awesome Game. Glad I was there.:cool:

Cuero should win by two touchdowns.:cool:

GreenGobbla
11-11-2009, 12:31 AM
38-20 cuero

gobbler grad
11-11-2009, 10:45 PM
thread fell to the 3rd page...

ssssssssssooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

GO MEAN GREEN...:clap:

crabman
11-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I hope that lack of action is no indication of the mood of the posters. Sam Houston is exactly the kind of team that can jump up and bite you.

12thMan
11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
No kidding. SH will be ready to play. I hope everyone will be ready for a good game. I hope Cuero fans can bring some noise with them to the game. I know I sound like a broken record, I just can't stand it when our Gobblers need a lift from the crowd, we can't give it to them.

Blue42
11-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I think that the Gobblers have been good for so long that the fans expect perfection and they don't realize that these are kids that feed off the crowd. I have got sick of people saying how suspect our defense is or why did they let that weak team score on them and you don't hear any one in the crowd hollering while we are on defense. Bring the noise makers and loosen up your collars people and let these boys know your rooting for them. If we put up two quick. TD's on this team Friday and hold them from scoring I think they will lose there fight and it could be a good night for the Gobblers but if we let them hang around or get ahead early I think they will stick around and pull out an upset.

12thMan
11-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Let's start the 09 playoffs right. Let's show SH fans what were all about here in Cuero. Most of all, I challenge the Cuero fans and student body to step out of their comfort zones and yell for their Gobblers. In most schools, there is a section of students that stand and lead the cheering and noise making. Let's get it going!! Let's get excited, let's show our Gobblers how excited we are for them.

headhunter
11-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Last year I was somewhat worried about the crowd participation during the games heading into playoffs, but once playoff hit, the Gobbler faithful became alive. I think over the past few years it has been hard for the fans to get real excited about the football during district.

However I think yall make a good point. Their was a day when the fans made more noise then ever. Cow Bells, clappers, turkey calls, or just yelling. Come to the game and be ready to be loud.

A group of kids had the student body going back in the early 2000's. They raised money for rally towels and had over 100+ students stand throughout the stands so to get the crowd going. BUT the greatest principle of all time, Wes Wyatt did not like their leader, Mr. Rodeo Rider (never new his real name) and did everything in his power to dismantle the group. However Rodeo Rider and is group stuck together and overpowered the admin. They later ran him out of town, never to be seen again. LOL

To the fans: Be loud and support those guys who bust their but for your community.

To the Cheerleaders, you only need 3 cheers in the playoffs. On defense it's "DEFENSE, DEFENSE" on offfense it's "GO, GO, and during time outs or b/w quarters it Two Bits! Throw in a CUERO... GOBBLERS... every once in a while but thats all you need!!!

To the players: Make some big hits on defense and play lights out, the crowd will appreciate your work, go get them friday night, no one will lay down for you, you will have to play above your potential every week from here on out.

To the coaches: Put your foot on the gas pedal and don't let off, Score, Score and Score. Our best defense is our offense.

headhunter
11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
The breakdown for this week!

It will be no different from what has gotten us to this point. At 10-0 the Gobblers have been solid on offense and have improved on defense and even spcial teams. It's playoff time so you have to turn it up a notch, defense needs to be the difference maker. Defense is the difference when good teams play each other. No turnovers, no blown assignment on D and tackle (wrapp up), and play with INTENSITY!!! Sam Houston is a pretty dang good football team, put them away when you have the chance, don't let them hang around. They feed off the big play.

I have not seen Cuero do this all year, but if they wanted to come out of the gate with the no-huddle offense and throw the ball down the field I think they would create a lot of confusion for Sam Houston. I do not think they can stop the passing attack, what they hope for is Cuero to play smash mouth football so they can clogg up the middle and keep us contaied. Spread it out and RUN-N-GUN.

Go Gettem Gobblers

44INAROW
11-12-2009, 10:31 AM
for some reason, I just started thinking about the "Little Man Syndrone" aka "Wee Man Syndrone" :D

bleacherbum
11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I remember that crew headhunter! Wild, loud, and crazy....just the way the fans need to get for this this playoff run! I might have to bust out my old rally towel.

12thMan
11-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Now were talken. Let's get our "game face" on for the playoffs. I say let's get there early and reserve a section just for the people who want to stand and make noise. If it's enough of us, we can motivate everyone else.

rojosgirl
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
This would be great to see! (and hear) Hope Cuero fans get the message. They're usually not at their best until much later. A coordinated spirit effort would be excellant. Fans + band + cheerleaders! WOW - what a concept! Maybe it'll catch on.

GO GOBBLERS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Hell I remember going to a game and sitting next to the Rodeo Rider group... still have the towel I believe... that was in '03...

Saw ole Wes Wyatt at a Calhoun game last year, he's there now I guess (had on a Calhoun polo-style shirt)... guess the Cuero students were getting a little too close to the lucky charms so he packed up and left...

Never respected him too much, talked to the students like they were dumbasses...

Tom-Cat Tom Kelly, though... he was the man...

jp744
11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
This would be great to see! (and hear) Hope Cuero fans get the message. They're usually not at their best until much later. A coordinated spirit effort would be excellant. Fans + band + cheerleaders! WOW - what a concept! Maybe it'll catch on.

Make them some shirts and give them away free. We bought 100 shirts and gave them away to the kids cheering section and it was crazy. We had a spirit bus that included the price of the game and t shirt to the first play off game. HS Kids will do anything for a t shirt that cost $2 to make. Give them a nickname. We had Section "R" at central catholic and they are the best in the San Antonio area hands down. The Fighting Purrs or something like that. Come on you guys are Cuero. The Mean Green Crew something.

bleacherbum
11-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Tom-Cat Tom Kelly, though... he was the man...

This + infinity

The Fighting Purrs or something like that. Come on you guys are Cuero. The Mean Green Crew something.

Well my namesake came from the original 'Bleacher Bums'. What a crew, between the tailgates and fundraisers they had to buy the towels and face paint and stuff.... perhaps a reunion is in order. I'll see if I can get some of the former members together for the Sealy game. But we gotta get thru Sam Houston first.

bleacherbum
11-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Never respected him too much, talked to the students like they were dumbasses...

Oh and this. For a rowdy obnoxious group of students, the bums were uncannily good at paperwork, and staying just inside that gray region of the rulebook. Thus never actually breaking the rules.

12thMan
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Free t-shirts. I think that would work. Maybe we can get together and do something like that for next week.

CheerMom
11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Go Gobblers!!!! Good Luck!!! Play and travel safely!!

Gobbla2001
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by bleacherbum
Oh and this. For a rowdy obnoxious group of students, the bums were uncannily good at paperwork, and staying just inside that gray region of the rulebook. Thus never actually breaking the rules.

They were all good kids... it was a great thing to see... They really pumped it up in '03 at the Wharton/Cuero playoff game... so much emotion there, rubbed off on me...

I think ole Wyatt went to Calhoun so he could get away from winning football and the crazy fans... then Calhoun started winning and their fans are crazy... he did look depressed at that game... probably hates it...

ma2_85
11-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
This would be great to see! (and hear) Hope Cuero fans get the message. They're usually not at their best until much later. A coordinated spirit effort would be excellant. Fans + Band + cheerleaders! WOW - what a concept! Maybe it'll catch on.

The band part made me laugh. It's sad to say that the band has been going down hill since the Smith's left. My senior year '02-'03 was the best we had in a long time.

Blue42
11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Now were talken. Let's get our "game face" on for the playoffs. I say let's get there early and reserve a section just for the people who want to stand and make noise. If it's enough of us, we can motivate everyone else.
Man I am ready for some GOBBLER football now you people are getting me fired up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COME ON GOBBLERS LETS SHOW THESE SAN ANTONIO PEOPLE WHAT WE ARE ALL ABOUT !!!!!!!!!!

GTownballer
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Good luck to the Gobblers,,,,hope to see ya down the road!

Unstoppable
11-12-2009, 10:48 PM
its killing me that I am not able to go to the game. I have made the long drive from McAllen to see Cuero play five times this year and with my certification class and work I am unable to attend what seems to be a great game.

Referring to the Cuero fans, I drove up from McAllen to Cuero (4.5 hour drive) to see the Edna game and I was, for a lack of better words, put off at the fan support during most of the game. I usually sit near Mr. Go Mean Green himself and he gets my family and I going with the yells so much that on Saturday I can hardly talk. Its dissappointing that most of the fans just sit back and watch the game as if they were watching movie in the theater. I usually brag about the fan support for the Gobblers and hope that the fan support is there for Friday's playoff game.

On that note, someone please keep the scoring updates on here tomorrow. I will only have my cellphone and cant access the webcast so I will be relying on texts and updates on here.

Blue42
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
You hit the nail on the head too quiet for a team that is 10-0 .I remember the 2004 championship game and waiting to get in the stadium and Herb starting a GO MEAN GREEN and a bunch of people replying loudly it sent chills up my spine. I will be ready to get loud tomorrow.

garciap77
11-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Cuero by 21!:clap: :clap: :clap:

maroonpirate04
11-13-2009, 01:13 AM
The Gobblers will gobble 'em up :D :D They will have no problem. It's a sad thing for the school are they on the verge of closing its doors next season. Just when they are getting comfortable in 3A finally made the playoffs. Same problem happen to West Campus except they were form one big campus with South San. Back in the day Sam Houston used to be a big competitor in Class 5A before slowly falling down to 3A

bleacherbum
11-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Somehow this thread slipped to the second page. Lets go Gobbler fans, its game day!

Mean Green Fan
11-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Go Gobblers:clap: :clap: :clap:

Green Bling
11-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Gobbler fans, we need to help Herb out with fan spirit tonight. Last Friday night was an embarrassment fan supportwise. The guys play so hard and give us so much football to enjoy, the least we can do is put some heart into our support. Does anyone out there have a connection with the cheerleaders? I think if they yelled ,"Go Mean Green," with Herb that would help the fans know when he is leading the yell. It isn't really realistic to leave it all up to him. I'd love to see a coordinated effort with Herb, cheerleaders, band and fans on this. How hard could it be? " Let's get a little bit rowdy !!" :D :D

gobble_up03
11-13-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree that the fan support is lacking. I have season tickets in the reserved section. We sit near the band, and most of the people there watch the game like a movie. They also complain about the band being too loud...are you serious??? You're at a football game! Come on!

12thMan
11-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I am so glad to see more people taking notice of this. For a while, I thought it was just me. It should be loud tonight! I know I will.

rojosgirl
11-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I hope the people who can do something about this problem are tuning in to these comments!

:cheerl:

Blue42
11-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Getting ready to leave have noise maker in hand and ready to make some noise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gobbler grad
11-13-2009, 04:19 PM
headed out also...grab a bite to eat on the way and then be at the field...:clap:

GO MEAN GREEN...:clap:

44INAROW
11-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
headed out also...grab a bite to eat on the way and then be at the field...:clap:

GO MEAN GREEN...:clap: be careful and yell loud for me tonight ;)

12thMan
11-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I'll yell for you 44.

44INAROW
11-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I'll yell for you 44.

thanks 12th Man - I'll be there in spirit...

SpursFan
11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by gobble_up03
I agree that the fan support is lacking. I have season tickets in the reserved section. We sit near the band, and most of the people there watch the game like a movie. They also complain about the band being too loud...are you serious??? You're at a football game! Come on!

I also agree! I have season tickets in section c. When I stood up last week to yell! People around me gave the worst looks and worse yet no one and I mean no one joined me in cheering the defence for a defensive stand!

I remember when make a defensive stop and Cuero Fans would give an arousing STANDING O!!!!
Where has it gone
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I hope we the FANS bring it tonight!!

Go MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!

SpursFan
11-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Oh one more thing!! Watch the Cuero Photographer on the sidelines! He is the best fan on the field! He tries to get the crowd up!!

Sometimes he is cheering more than the cheerleaders!! LOL!! That is the way it should be!

So there are a few fans who yell the way we used to!

Go Mean Green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now off to Matador Stadium!!!!!!!!

watchthis
11-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Trivia......who was Cuero's head coach before Buster Gilbreath?

44INAROW
11-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by watchthis
Trivia......who was Cuero's head coach before Buster Gilbreath?

I know I know...

Bill Engle...

Bonus question.
what was Bill's wife's name?

Gobbla2001
11-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Bonus question.
what was Bill's wife's name?

Janis?

;)

44INAROW
11-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Dixie

Gobbla2001
11-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Dixie

damn i suck again

watchthis
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Did he (and Dixie)go to Stroman?

44INAROW
11-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by watchthis
Did he (and Dixie)go to Stroman?
I thought they moved to the Metroplex area when they left here. not sure where they came from - their son Thomas is my age. I talked to him about 5 years ago via email - I think both his parents have passed on.. :(

FYI I just discovered there is a chat room on the gobblersports.com site.. you have to sign in but it's no big deal.. it's moderated but not by me :)

SintonFan
11-13-2009, 08:02 PM
GO GOBBLERS!!!

IHStangFan
11-13-2009, 08:06 PM
GO GET 'EM GOBBLERS!!